• ColourCalibration
  • ChannelExtraction (to produce mask)
  • MultiLayerTransform noise reduction
  • Cloned the Image
  • HistogramTransofrmation on original and ArcSinhStretch on the clone
  • MLT noise reduction on both.

Exported to PS and combined AS version with the HT version using a Layer Mask

484437446_M57-HTASPS.thumb.jpg.95ebda89e0f08f35274861ab8e8c904d.jpg

It's the best I could do - it certainly was a massive Autosave file!

I am sure others with more skill in processing will do much better.

Adrian

1 minute ago, Adreneline said:

This is my quick attempt.

Imported into PI

• DynamicCrop
  • AutomaticBackgroundExtraction
  • BackgroundNeutralization
  • ColourCalibration
  • ChannelExtraction (to produce mask)
  • MultiLayerTransform noise reduction
  • Cloned the Image
  • HistogramTransofrmation on original and ArcSinhStretch on the clone
  • MLT noise reduction on both.

Exported to PS and combined AS version with the HT version using a Layer Mask

484437446_M57-HTASPS.thumb.jpg.95ebda89e0f08f35274861ab8e8c904d.jpg

It's the best I could do - it certainly was a massive Autosave file!

I am sure others with more skill in processing will do much better.

Adrian

wow cool, maybe i should have cropped it to the area of interest. should my autosave file be smaller than that?

Well I guess the size of the file is down to the CR2 files from the Canon - I have similar problems when I use my 70D. I couldn't open your file directly in PS as my MBP doesn't have enough memory - it's only got 8GB!

I cropped the image to remove the vignetting - and to make it a more manageable size.

I am sure the image could be improved with more noise reduction in PI and more work to remove colour from the background. It might also be possible to sharpen up the detail in M57 with MLT and/or HDRM. As I said this was just a quick process to see what was there.

HTH

57 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

No, that's something else I've got to get in the habit of doing. Need to get myself a dummy battery so I can mains power my canon. Fed up with batteries going dead. 

Hi Anthony,

Im not sure if these are the same fit as your camera but I found them to be very good indeed. Can usually manage a 3/4 hour session on one of these fully charged. Just make sure to turn the LCD screen off on the camera while imaging through APT.

Screenshot_20180814-152212_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Thanks, yeah I've got some similar ones, charger looks identical. I seem to get 2 hours tops with my genuine battery and the same with 3rd party. Issue is battery gauge doesn't work with 3rd party so never know when it's gonna die. Camera batteries are the real weak link in the chain of remote imaging. 

2 minutes ago, spillage said:

It also stop heat and light affecting the sensor.

Yeah that too , forgot about that.

I would be interested why your autosave is so big though , mine are normally around 105 mb and thats with like 50 exposures + darks and bias .

It is M27 - I've been trying to process my image of it taken on Friday.  Mine was 198x30 second images with a Canon EOS 7D, 5202 x 3465 px and the file size is about 180 Mb.  Looking at this image, it seems to be 12000 x 8000 pixels whereas the camera is 6000 x 4000.  Was there a setting in DSS that made it scale up?  that would explain the huge file size.

All the best

Michael

Drizzle being turned on usually... x2 = upsample resolution x2 (file size x4~), x3 =... you get the drift.

And yes, get a dummy battery & 8v (ish - can't recall precise figure) DC Buck and run it from 12v battery or 12v DC PSU.

For a start your camera shoots 14bit. A stacked autosave tiff from DSS is 32bit. Higher bit depth = larger file size. Then add in drizzle. It soon escalates.

[EDIT: Added math, removed math = I’m crap at math!]

Drizzle mainly used for convolution purposes, then resample it down to original resolution afterwards and convert to 16bit.

Archived