Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Does Celestron 12v need regulating?

Via

Whilst waiting for my 127SLT I'm putting together a DIY 12v feed from 2 motorcycle batteries in parallel.

Just want to confirm if I need a 12v regulator or not? Know Celestron supply a auxiliary socket lead but is it just a straight through wire or is there any type of regulation in there?

8 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

+1 on the 12V battery not needing to be regulated but a mains PSU is a good idea... wont take too much of a spike to kill something on you circuit board.

Non regulated PSUs are not recommend because they don't supply a constant voltage when the load (amps) increases. Take a typical 12v / 5a non regulated psu (60W) . When load increases on the psu when slewing the psu amps output will increase but the voltage will drop accordingly. At some point the voltage will drop below the recommended minimum for the mount to function properly and the goto system will behave erratically or just stop working. With a regulated psu the voltage will remain stable at 12v when the load increases. 

Archived