Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Shaky Jupiter but a interesting NEB feature

John

I'm observing Jupiter at the moment. The seeing is not at all steady really but there is enough clarity to see the GRS is on the disk plus the main cloud belts. One thing that jumps out of the rather shimmery view is a large dark feature (major festoon perhaps ?) coming off the south edge of the NEB just to the N of the current GRS position. It looks to be on a similar scale to the GRS as a feature and is much more prominent than the usual festoons.

Anybody else seeing this ?

I wish it was steadier but I'm having to make the best of what I've got at the moment.

Hoping for better views of Saturn and Mars later.

15 minutes ago, John said:

Anybody else seeing this ?

I too saw what you saw, last night, GRS was dead centre and on the south side of the NEB i saw what looked like major festooning, 2 veils jutting down towards GRS, festoons looked much larger than usual.

15 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I too saw what you saw, last night, GRS was dead centre and on the south side of the NEB i saw what looked like major festooning, 2 veils jutting down towards GRS, festoons looked much larger than usual.

Sounds like what I've just been observing. It does not look like a barge to me (I've seen quite a few of those but not so many lately) but a prominent single or double festoon type feature might be spot on.

Jupiter has gone behind the house now so I'll see if any of the imagers pick this up. It might be around for a while and may well rotate around the disk at a different speed to the GRS so I'll look out for it again if I get another session tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback folks :smile:

Archived