Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best beginner imaging set up for DSo's?

Hi 

As stated in my previous posts i am thinking about getting into imaging. I was wondering what set up  would be best for a beginner for astrophotography. I have no previous experience in photography so i am abit over my head. I am also even wondering if i want to do it as im not sure how difficult it is by not having a permanent set up. I have no budget set at the moment but would like to keep it under 1k if possible.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Ps i have every photon counts 

Having read the book myself, its in my mind to start out somewhere with an 80mmED, should/if/whenever I venture down that route?
From what I've read (the book) and other references, the 80mm is more than capable.
Not sure on the mount though! there lies the problem, having the right mount to support the system.

6 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

If you own a DSLR already and a stable tripod you could try start learning the basics plus processing today.

I dont own a dslr and my mount isnt good enough for heavy loads so i would have to buy everything. 

16 minutes ago, Olli said:

I dont own a dslr and my mount isnt good enough for heavy loads so i would have to buy everything. 

Assuming you look at a DSLR as you aren't sure if this is for you, what is your mount you have now?

Edit: I looked at your sig, ok the Pronto is static.

First consideration, do you think you want to jump in to imaging camera or are you more DSLR to start as could use for general photography too.

20 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Assuming you look at a DSLR as you aren't sure if this is for you, what is your mount you have now?

Edit: I looked at your sig, ok the Pronto is static.

First consideration, do you think you want to jump in to imaging camera or are you more DSLR to start as could use for general photography too.

I Wont be using the dslr for general will be used specifically for astrophotography.

As you're not intending to share use of camera it opens up whether an astro imaging camera might be an option. If so then whether colour or mono with filters. An astro modified DSLR is also an option.

You don't have to have a telescope to image the night sky. Camera and lens are use as well. Have you looked at and found images you like and noted what equipment was used.

16 hours ago, happy-kat said:

As you're not intending to share use of camera it opens up whether an astro imaging camera might be an option. If so then whether colour or mono with filters. An astro modified DSLR is also an option.

You don't have to have a telescope to image the night sky. Camera and lens are use as well. Have you looked at and found images you like and noted what equipment was used.

I forgot i had asked about the star adventurer before and just remembered  about it. How well would a wo z61 or 73 with a dslr do on one?

15 minutes ago, Olli said:

I forgot i had asked about the star adventurer before and just remembered  about it. How well would a wo z61 or 73 with a dslr do on one? 

Quite well I should think and at a decent price. I was going to suggest an HEQ5 and Skywatcher 130 P-DS as a good option - that way you spend more on the mount but less on the scope and get a faster focal ratio - but Newts do have their downsides in terms of learning your way around their maintenance (e.g.collimation is much more important when imaging, and even at f5 takes a little bit of getting used to). That setup might work better with a DSLR also (they match up quite well with fast systems).

But a smaller refractor and Star Adventurer sounds like a really nice option too. Light weight and portable, and capable of great shots. In terms of the camera, unless you're going to spend rather a lot I would recommend starting with a budget DSLR (most of the things you get by going for a mid range model are completely irrelevant for astro use). Longer production runs = better value for money; you won't get a decent astro camera with an APS-C sized chip or larger for £1k or anything like it (the closest I can think of would be something like the ZWO ASI 1600, which is both smaller and budget breaking). A DSLR is great for getting started, and has the advantage that it doesn't need a PC, and is easy to use with lenses, which themselves can give great astro shots.

Best of luck whatever route you decide to take.

Billy.

4 hours ago, billyharris72 said:

Quite well I should think and at a decent price. I was going to suggest an HEQ5 and Skywatcher 130 P-DS as a good option - that way you spend more on the mount but less on the scope and get a faster focal ratio - but Newts do have their downsides in terms of learning your way around their maintenance (e.g.collimation is much more important when imaging, and even at f5 takes a little bit of getting used to). That setup might work better with a DSLR also (they match up quite well with fast systems).

But a smaller refractor and Star Adventurer sounds like a really nice option too. Light weight and portable, and capable of great shots. In terms of the camera, unless you're going to spend rather a lot I would recommend starting with a budget DSLR (most of the things you get by going for a mid range model are completely irrelevant for astro use). Longer production runs = better value for money; you won't get a decent astro camera with an APS-C sized chip or larger for £1k or anything like it (the closest I can think of would be something like the ZWO ASI 1600, which is both smaller and budget breaking). A DSLR is great for getting started, and has the advantage that it doesn't need a PC, and is easy to use with lenses, which themselves can give great astro shots.

Best of luck whatever route you decide to take.

Billy.

Thanks for the advice will have a look at the 1600.

4 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Link to large thread on star adventurer

and searching that thread found this Z61

I was thinking there are members who use a good mount and still a camera with lens (though might be a dedicated astro cam). Look at images and kit people use to see what you like what works for you budget wise.

Thanks for the links Quite amazing how good then photos are with just a lens and a dslr. I am leaning towards the SA though just because of the weight of it.

Archived