Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Astroblagger

Mount for Skymax 90

Iv been looking looking for a light grab and go set up, preferably I can carry everything down the stairs in one trip. iv got a skymax 90 so looking for a light weight mount, would an alt az heavy duty mount struggle with this? with possibly a camera attached too. if so what mount would be suitable, would prefer an alt az ideally.

do you want goto? EQ would suit photography better, if thats your thing. 

I sometimes put my Skymax 90 on my camera tripod with ballhead for quick viewing. 

This is the set up I use with my Mak 90. A Neewer photo tripod. I have replaced the ball head with a TS travel AZ head.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Astroblagger said:

Can someone confirm the weight of a skymax 102 mak?

The Skymax102 weighs around 1.9Kg. I put mine on the star adventurer mini

Edited by Snooze

I've had a Skymax 102 on a sturdy photo tripod and a ball head, which worked reasonably well so with a proper altaz head like he one shown by @laudropb it shouldn't be an issue, and the 90 being half a Kg lighter should be fine. That said what about the SW Pronto Altaz mount with a 3Kg max load.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-pronto/sky-watcher-az-pronto-alt-azimuth-mount-tripod.html

I am another that just uses a camera tripod with ball head, just turn the ball so its at right angles to the tripod, it then works as stable Altaz mount.

Alan

Looking at your equipment list with that camera gear if you own a reasonable camera tripod then I'd go with Alan above, use a ballhead.

Like this just change the words ST80 which is above a sketch of a telescope on the right hand side of the ballhead for your skymax90.

If you get the balance and tension right you should be able to just nudge the telescope when viewing.

Sketch286202032.png

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1

Bit like this.... 

Works ok with an st80 for grab and go short sessions!

Ta

Fozzie 

• Like 1