SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A little bit of an experiment (ngc 6888 ) re dos added

simmo39

Well i managed to add a little Oiii data to my Ha stuff and Had a play at different combinations and mixes of the data. Here are a few of the results! some are better than others and all could do with more subs as well as some Si data would be good.

HOO

hoo

HOO crop

hoocrop

Mixhaoiii

sho mix1amixcrop

synthetic green mix

synthetic green

This is an extreme stretch to see if I could see the soap bubble and you can just about make it out on the lower left.

43296883894_392142e476_b.jpg

Any hints and tips welcome.

2 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Its very nice.. there is heaps of detail there. It is a little noisy but otherwise awesome.

Thanks, yep need a lot more subs but was pleased with the experiment. Hopefully we will get some more clear nights and ill try and loose the noise.

2 hours ago, simmo39 said:

Thanks, yep need a lot more subs but was pleased with the experiment. Hopefully we will get some more clear nights ans ill try and loose the noise.

It'll be great to see it evolve...

Yes, this project has great potential as your images show. A lot of detail there. Right now they are a bit too noisy, maybe also becasue you pushed the data a bit too far but then it is not a finnished product yet as you say. If the clouds would start to conspire against you, you could always pull back in sharpness and add some NR and you would have a perfectly presentable image.

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Yes, this project has great potential as your images show. A lot of detail there. Right now they are a bit too noisy, maybe also becasue you pushed the data a bit too far but then it is not a finnished product yet as you say. If the clouds would start to conspire against you, you could always pull back in sharpness and add some NR and you would have a perfectly presentable image.

Thanks, I will be trying to put some more Ha data soon. I have been using unity gain on my ASI 1600, Im wondering if i should increase the gain and go for more shorter exposures.

On 14/08/2018 at 12:08, simmo39 said:

Thanks, I will be trying to put some more Ha data soon. I have been using unity gain on my ASI 1600, Im wondering if i should increase the gain and go for more shorter exposures.

Got to be honest and say I am using unity gain on this target on my 130PDS and I am not having a noise issue, but without knowing your exposure and number of subs its difficult to say.

5 hours ago, Adam J said:

Got to be honest and say I am using unity gain on this target on my 130PDS and I am not having a noise issue, but without knowing your exposure and number of subs its difficult to say.

Hi Adam, Im using 300s for the Oiii and that was 20 subs. The Ha was 20 x 240s. Last night I tried to get more Oiii but had a night of problems and only got 10 more 300s subs but I suppose it all helps.

2 hours ago, simmo39 said:

Hi Adam, Im using 300s for the Oiii and that was 20 subs. The Ha was 20 x 240s. Last night I tried to get more Oiii but had a night of problems and only got 10 more 300s subs but I suppose it all helps.

Interesting, I use the same 240s exposure length with my ASI1600mm pro on my 130PDS and after 24 subs my result was significantly smoother. I operated it at -20c just in case your using a higher temperature. Did you dither? How are you calibrating?

Ill post my Ha / OIII result later. But its only about 1/4 of the data I am aiming for. 

Cheers,

Adam 

5 hours ago, Adam J said:

Interesting, I use the same 240s exposure length with my ASI1600mm pro on my 130PDS and after 24 subs my result was significantly smoother. I operated it at -20c just in case your using a higher temperature. Did you dither? How are you calibrating?

Ill post my Ha / OIII result later. But its only about 1/4 of the data I am aiming for. 

Cheers,

Adam 

5 hours ago, spillage said:

what calibration data are you using. 

I have been operating at -15 as its been so warm and didnt want to push the cooler hard. dont use dithering but must admit it was first time using flats and dark flats so may be the way i did them didnt help. my darks seem a bit rough but i put that down to only using 15subs.

Will see how the 10 subs I had from lawst night do.

12 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Looks good. Have you tried reducing the green a little?

Thank you. I did try reducing the green but couldnt get it right. Tomorrow Ill try again and do a few experiments to see if I can sus it out.

7 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Well done. Personally I like the first HOO version best. The soap bubble is wuite obvious here. After alk it's a very dim object.

What post processing software do you use?

Thanks. I have done so many versions of it Im a bit lost in my own mind as to witch is best. I have been using PI and a little tweak in Neat Image.

32 minutes ago, wimvb said:

I can recommend tgvdenoise in PixInsight, linear stage.

http://wimvberlo.blogspot.com/2016/07/noise-reduction-for-dslr-astroimages.html?m=1

Warren Keller's book "Inside PixInsight" also has a good recipe

Thanks, I have the book but find it a little hard work. I will give it ago and try the recipe.

Archived