Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CG5 Mount Upgrade?

PeejaySTB

I have an old CG5 (2nd generation) which was initially a manual op scope, until I fitted the full Synscan upgrade some years ago. I have toyed with the idea of buying the HEQ5 Pro as a retirement present, and the questions I have are these:

1. Is it a better mount to the tune of £775? Can I fit an HEQ5 head on my (very solid) 2" tripod legs, and is it available anywhere as a separate item?

2. If not, should I consider modifying the mount I have to belt drive - is this even possible?

3. Are there any viable competitors to the HEQ5 pro that I should be considering at a similar price point.

My main scope for AP is an Orion ED80, I occasionally use a MAK150 for lunar and planetary.

Many thanks,

Peter.

I took 2 yrs deciding what mount to buy. ended up with the HEQ5 as although i wanted the EQ6-r i couldnt justify the cost, maybe later but not yet. Anyway, now i have it i feel i really wasted 2 yrs and should have jumped on one from the start. will belt mod it at a later date when funds allow

8 minutes ago, PeejaySTB said:

I have an old CG5 (2nd generation) which was initially a manual op scope, until I fitted the full Synscan upgrade some years ago. I have toyed with the idea of buying the HEQ5 Pro as a retirement present, and the questions I have are these:

1. Is it a better mount to the tune of £775? Can I fit an HEQ5 head on my (very solid) 2" tripod legs, and is it available anywhere as a separate item?

2. If not, should I consider modifying the mount I have to belt drive - is this even possible?

3. Are there any viable competitors to the HEQ5 pro that I should be considering at a similar price point.

My main scope for AP is an Orion ED80, I occasionally use a MAK150 for lunar and planetary.

Many thanks,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

By looking at your Scopes.. its a fine line on upgrade. If your main scope for AP is a ED80, the CG5 is going to perform fine. And of course for the scopes listed visual must be a joy on the CG5 Goto!.

I hear you as £775 is a lot of money!. Oh, and yes the HEQ5 will sit on the CG5 Tripod very happily (mine is). The CG5 is a nice mount, with good bearings.

7 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I took 2 yrs deciding what mount to buy. ended up with the HEQ5 as although i wanted the EQ6-r i couldnt justify the cost, maybe later but not yet. Anyway, now i have it i feel i really wasted 2 yrs and should have jumped on one from the start. will belt mod it at a later date when funds allow

Cheers for that. I can't find anything on belt modding the CG5. maybe it is too old a mount.

Archived