SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ5 synscan mount slow motion knobs and clutch knobs

Hello, I've seen about slow motion knobs in a video and searched on EQ5 and slow motion, and I've seen many threads about EQ5 and slow motions knobs, so my question is, should I have the slow motion knobs? How do I check? and if yes, what cable should I get in order to install it?

One more question, should the clutch knobs be easy to lock? and should they not move at all after locking? Because its kinda hard for me to lock the knobs, and even when I lock them as hard as I can, the mount can still move if you push it hard enough, should it be that way? I removed the knob and tighten the screw, but it still wasn't enough, I thought about oiling it with WD40, that might help? And should I try it? Thanks a lot.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

so i only found a photo showing the DECLINATION slow motion and clutch, the RA one's are on the other side. I presume you have all the other set up steps done (Set latitude, level mount, point north..), after which you slacken the clutches, swivel to the approximate location and re-fasten clutches.  They are friction, and you can push through them if you try, but don't over tighten them, or you will cause wear.  The slow motion controls can then be used to fine tune the position, it doesn't move or use the clutch part, its a separate gear train.  So, no you wont be able stop the movement completely, and no you don't need to WD40 it..

HTH

Mike

eq5.PNG

EDIT:  I just saw you have a SYNSCAN (missed that in the title sorry!)  The upgrade kit has some adjustable gears that can be loosened to allow the SM control to still work, but i dont believe the Syncan version can do that (I upgraded mine with motors, and remember that)

2 minutes ago, mikeyj1 said:

Hi,

so i only found a photo showing the DECLINATION slow motion and clutch, the RA one's are on the other side. I presume you have all the other set up steps done (Set latitude, level mount, point north..), after which you slacken the clutches, swivel to the approximate location and re-fasten clutches.  They are friction, and you can push through them if you try, but don't over tighten them, or you will cause wear.  The slow motion controls can then be used to fine tune the position, it doesn't move or use the clutch part, its a separate gear train.  So, no you wont be able stop the movement completely, and no you don't need to WD40 it..

HTH

Mike

eq5.PNG

So even when the clutch is locked the mount should be able to move? And regarding the slow motion, I don't have the cables/adapters for the slow motion, I need to get it, do you know where I can search for it? I need to buy it from ebay/aliexpress, it seems like its just a circle with a tighten knob on it to hold it in place, so I don't think it should be hard to find, but Im not sure what to look for. (I can't buy from sites from US/UK, only ebay/aliexpress unfortunately).

Ye you can still move it if you try hard enough!  post a picture, i might help.  also look under motors/mounts on FLO for the accessories - they have various bits including the SM control handles

this is the upgrade kit, and the two small gears/knobs are fitted to the existing manual SM controls, and allow the gear train to be loosened, otherwise the motor will not allow any fine roatation.

eqmotor.PNG

If you have SYNSCAN fitted you should be doing any movement of the OTA (once set to a home position) via the handset.  I only release the clutches to check for balance, polar align and set a home position.  I have the SYNSCAN upgrade fitted to my EQ5 and have removed the knobs completely as they are now redundant.  

6 minutes ago, mikeyj1 said:

Ye you can still move it if you try hard enough!  post a picture, i might help.  also look under motors/mounts on FLO for the accessories - they have various bits including the SM control handles

this is the upgrade kit, and the two small gears/knobs are fitted to the existing manual SM controls, and allow the gear train to be loosened, otherwise the motor will not allow any fine roatation.

eqmotor.PNG

5 minutes ago, Astrosharkey said:

If you have SYNSCAN fitted you should be doing any movement of the OTA (once set to a home position) via the handset.  I only release the clutches to check for balance, polar align and set a home position.  I have the SYNSCAN upgrade fitted to my EQ5 and have removed the knobs completely as they are now redundant.  

5 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Because you have a mount with goto capabilities you don't need the slo-mo cables, you just use the handset to slew the mount.

Yes, but in case I have no power I can't use the goto, and then moving the scope manually without the slo-mo cables is quite a pain, seems easy enough to install them, so why not have it as a backup?

It seems that its simply a circle with a locking nut to hold it in place, seems fairly easy to find I guess regardless of telescopes.

If you have no power you can't use the mount, you are trying to work against the gearing and motors which are engaged, the only other way without causing possible damage is to move the OTA with the clutches but will be hard to accurately align on anything.

2 minutes ago, Astrosharkey said:

If you have no power you can't use the mount, you are trying to work against the gearing and motors which are engaged, the only other way without causing possible damage is to move the OTA with the clutches but will be hard to accurately align on anything.

Its not working against the motors, its working with the motors, they both move together because they're connected, it should not make any difference at all..

As mentioned if you have the GOTO system and have the handset then you use the handset to move the scope. Once in position the mount will track the target. If you have not power source then you cannot track an object with the gears.

1 minute ago, spillage said:

As mentioned if you have the GOTO system and have the handset then you use the handset to move the scope. Once in position the mount will track the target. If you have not power source then you cannot track an object with the gears.

What difference does it make if the gears are moving manually? the gears are meant to move, I don't see any reason why manually moving it would cause any damage..

Just now, spillage said:

The point is that your mount if it's the goto version has had the cables removed for electrical motors. I have not said any damage will occur but the only way to use the cables would be to remove the motors. 

I don't want to connect the cables directly to the motor, here is a picture of what I want to connect it to:

This is the DEC motor box:

IMG_20180813_141205.thumb.jpg.9cf70deb4253d6923ed5db5f5af8eb7a.jpg

This is the back of the motor box, where you can connect the slow motion cable to:

IMG_20180813_141154.thumb.jpg.1b54bf39703da3e540b68f90213e7998.jpg

If the "problem" is connecting the slow motion cables, its not a problem, and if you're saying that it won't damage the gears, then there are no problems at all, and I just need to find a cable somewhere.

The gear for the worn is now connected to the gear on the motor. This is not designed to be used manually much like an autofouser and it is recommended that you do not turn the motor manually.

Is there any reason you purchased the goto version when you want to manually control the mount?

2 minutes ago, spillage said:

The gear for the worn is now connected to the gear on the motor. This is not designed to be used manually much like an autofouser and it is recommended that you do not turn the motor manually.

Is there any reason you purchased the goto version when you want to manually control the mount?

I know, but again, I don't really see any reason for it to cause any damage, I currently don't have any portable power source, so using that or in case I ran out of power for a reason, seems like a very ideal backup to me. I have another set of RA/DEC motors in the worst scenario, so I really don't see anything I can lose here tbh.

Are using this for visual or imaging. If imaging then you will need to ensure you have enough power to last your imaging session as imaging manually would be pointless (planetary may be possible) . If visual you should find most power sources will last long enough.

If you currently do not have any power sources then why not remove the motors until such a time that you can power them.

7 minutes ago, spillage said:

Are using this for visual or imaging. If imaging then you will need to ensure you have enough power to last your imaging session as imaging manually would be pointless (planetary may be possible) . If visual you should find most power sources will last long enough.

If you currently do not have any power sources then why not remove the motors until such a time that you can power them.

Well I can remove the motors until I'll have a power source, but I don't have a slow motion cables anyway, and I use the goto when Im observing from my home, so there's no reason to remove it atm. And my main use will be observing, Im not really looking into AP for now, and Im looking to buy/make a battery that will last for a decent amount of hours, but you can never know, and I don't want to rely my observing only on that in case something happens, I want to be ready for any case.

+1 for you have a mount that requires power to work. If you can turn it into a non-goto mount by removing the motors, then it is a different question... 

If another EQ5 Synscan owner pops up with other advice then that *may* change things. 

44 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

+1 for you have a mount that requires power to work. If you can turn it into a non-goto mount by removing the motors, then it is a different question... 

If another EQ5 Synscan owner pops up with other advice then that *may* change things. 

I gotta say I don't quite understand your answer, can you please emphasize what you wanted to say? Thanks ^_^

On the manual EQ-5 with powered RA drive, the mount cam be moved quickly in Ra and DEC by slackening the clutches. There is a clutch and manual knob in the RA motor drive line for giving a fine manual movement in RA but in practice it is too fiddly to use.

I seriously think that you should get a power pack (mains or battery) for your mount, and only use it under power, and stop trying to find ways of making it move manually.

15 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

On the manual EQ-5 with powered RA drive, the mount cam be moved quickly in Ra and DEC by slackening the clutches. There is a clutch and manual knob in the RA motor drive line for giving a fine manual movement in RA but in practice it is too fiddly to use.

I seriously think that you should get a power pack (mains or battery) for your mount, and only use it under power, and stop trying to find ways of making it move manually.

Of course I will get a power supply, but that will take some time, and even if I have a power supply, I think relying only on that will result in a disappointment, if for whatever reason I have no power, I do want to keep using my scope.

First of all welcome from land down under

Have attached a pic of my ED80 on EQ5 mount, with SynScan

Pic also shows solar filter, as taken at a recent club public viewing day

I also recently purchased the Wi-Fi adaptor, and download the SynScan App, to control EQ5 from your mobile or tablet

I also use a car jump pack to power my EQ5

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

jump start pack.jpg

3 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

If you are only using it for visual and not powering anything else then a power pack or small leisure battery will power it for many hours. They don't use a much power at all.

I was just thinking of getting something like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/new-dc-12-in-a-9800-much-lithium-ion-super-battery-and-charger/32380163481.html?

1 hour ago, msacco said:

Of course I will get a power supply, but that will take some time, and even if I have a power supply, I think relying only on that will result in a disappointment, if for whatever reason I have no power, I do want to keep using my scope. 

There are lots and lots of folk who use power supplies for not only the mount but also for guiding camera, image camera, dew straps and controllers, auto focusers.....etc. They seem to manage to go out to remote sites and complete a full night of imaging with one power supply. Do your homework and buy right and buy once. Why not see if you can get hold of a normal car battery and see how long it runs your mount for? If power really is an issue for you then sell you goto mount and purchase a manual mount.

Archived