Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

We saw a "pop" of light during the peak of the Perseids last night, what was that?

So sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I have no idea what we saw and would love to hear some input! I am a COMPLETE and total newbie, so this is just my theory on what we must've spotted!

We saw a couple meteorites streaking past last which was VERY exciting, but at one point during our watch we saw a strange and very bright "pop" of light. I suspect this is a meteor coming straight towards the earth rather than grazing past, so instead of seeing that long streak, we just saw a pop of light. Is this correct? What did we see? Does anyone have any similar experiences?

Thank you!!

1 hour ago, MagnoliaCottage said:

I suspect this is a meteor coming straight towards the earth rather than grazing past, so instead of seeing that long streak, we just saw a pop of light. Is this correct? What did we see? Does anyone have any similar experiences?

That would certainly be my suggestion. I’ve not seen one, but people do report similar observations every now and then.

Out of interest, do you recall whereabouts in the sky it was? I suppose in theory if it was at the radiant in Perseus then it would most likely be heading straight at the earth.

I saw what you described too, a very bright flash with no fragments.....I put it down to being a head on meteor myself :)

It was around Cepheus and Cygnus, I saw it because I was imaging the Cocoon nebula at the time.

I did also see an Iridium flare by Cassiopeia, which could also be what you saw lol

Last week I was staying in a cottage in the Pennines near Barnard Castle. Mostly cloudy but managed some observing.

I caught a flash on the edge of my view and turned to watch. A few seconds later there was another. Point source at about magnitude minus 2. This was around 10 degrees from Vega so definitely not a Perseid.

I have seen similar before and can only conclude it is a flash from an artificial satellite. Perhaps this is what you saw?

Graham

10 hours ago, Philip R said:

Hi @MagnoliaCottage and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

My thoughts is that it is one the may have exploded. Did you see anything after it went "pop" ? ...ie smaller fragments from it ?

Nope, just a singular bright flash!

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Out of interest, do you recall whereabouts in the sky it was? I suppose in theory if it was at the radiant in Perseus then it would most likely be heading straight at the earth.

I wish I could tell you, but I have no clue where I saw it in the sky

Thank you everyone for the fascinating replies so far!! :)

Archived