Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_inspirational_skies_winners.thumb.jpg.94f78e21c195e385c5621d89ea0b51b9.jpg

Hi All,

I purchased a GSO 6" f/4 Newtonian "Astrograph" late last year and eventually found that stars on one corner were egg shaped while taking images. I narrowed it down to improper centering of secondary mirror from the factory and resulting tilt. 

Long story short, after numerous iterations, I used the Advanced Newtonian collimation technique by Astro Shed guy and ended up with the below pic of the optics. Does it look ok or do I need to do more? I will be checking with a Howie this weekend too.

final collimation 13082018.JPG

1 hour ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Looks pretty good to my crooked eyes Sathya.

The best and simplest collimation technique that I've used successfully is this one by Gary Seronik, no tools required and it really works a treat.

http://garyseronik.com/no-tools-telescope-collimation/

Thanks Geoff, I will definetly use this method by Gary Seronik. Since its the monsoon season here I'll have to try it with my artificial star. I tried using a Cheshire and for the love of God I cannot comprehend whatever I see through it. The above was done using only a simple collimation cap and my eye. 

I'm not so sure you have right. At f4 you would expect to see the secondary mirror offset. In your picture everything appears to be concentric but in a fast Newtonian set up there is a need to have the secondary offset to get full illumination. If you have re-centred the secondary on its mount and lined up all of the reflections you will have introduced tilt while through the Cheshire eyepiece everything appears lined up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Looks pretty good to my crooked eyes Sathya.

The best and simplest collimation technique that I've used successfully is this one by Gary Seronik, no tools required and it really works a treat.

http://garyseronik.com/no-tools-telescope-collimation/

Ok for basic alignment Geoff, and ok for observing,  but imaging at f4 requires a more rigorous attention to collimation, in my experience.

1 hour ago, peter shah said:

I'm not so sure you have right. At f4 you would expect to see the secondary mirror offset. In your picture everything appears to be concentric but in a fast Newtonian set up there is a need to have the secondary offset to get full illumination. If you have re-centred the secondary on its mount and lined up all of the reflections you will have introduced tilt while through the Cheshire eyepiece everything appears lined up. 

How do I offset the mirror correctly? There's a lot of stuff online and a lot of noise too. 

Posted (edited)

This thread is worth a read.

Edited by johninderby

1 hour ago, peter shah said:

Also, given that I have an oversized secondary mirror, would it really make a difference for imaging? In other words, is it really going to be worth it? When the scope was bought new and I tested it on HH, I found that the stars on the top right of the frame were egg shaped. I am going to do an artificial star test tonight to see how different it is now.

45 minutes ago, Tim said:

Ok for basic alignment Geoff, and ok for observing,  but imaging at f4 requires a more rigorous attention to collimation, in my experience. 

Aah I didn't see Sathya is collimating for imaging. I am purely visual so his image would be fine for me at f5. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Aah I didn't see Sathya is collimating for imaging. I am purely visual so his image would be fine for me at f5. 😀

I read through the excellent article by Astrobaby and find that the patterns as seen through the cap, as well as the Cheshire are exactly as they should be for the offset secondary. I am quite certain now that the star test will confirm the same. Boy oh boy, this is so exciting. 😛

• Like 1

Update:

I did the collimation one time again tonight using the webcam attached to the focuser with the lens on. Below are the results. 

Collimation final13082018.JPG

Collimation final13082018withoutcrosshairs.JPG

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lachlan
      Hi everyone, 
      im about to purchase my first astrophotography rig and was wanting some opinions on the best method to capture subs. I’m looking at using backyard EOS on my laptop to control the DSLR, but would using a shutter release cable be better/easier? 
      Thanks. 
    • By Lonestar2123
      Hello. I am using a Orion xt8 reflector telescope. I am wondering what optic / eyepiece set up I should be using for a mix of DSO and planets. I have a couple pictures which I have taken with honestly my cell phone on one of those (Omi cellphone adaptors for telescope) and they pictures don't come out to bad... but I am looking for something that I can actually put into the eye piece that will give decent looking pictures, or even one that I can hook up to my computer and look through it live. Price really is not the biggest issue but not really looking for something over $400. I know there might not be such a thing as I am describing. most of these pictures were taken with a 2x barlow and a 20mm The ones of mars I just took with a 5x barlo and the same 20mm. and I am unsure what this star formation I took a picture of is but It looked pretty cool and I am glad that I was able to take a picture of it.. But just looking for some help choosing what camera would be best.  (Obviously using the phone camera the objects appear so bright and there is no way to pull the actual detail of the planet into focus for me) But any help would be great :) Thank you for any feedback you have and I cant wait to become more active on this forum!

• By pete_l
      The shortlist has been announced (winners to be announced on October 23) and is available here: https://www.rmg.co.uk/whats-on/astronomy-photographer-year
      There might even be a name or two that people recognise!
    • By beka
      I recently had to move from my residence and amongst the items in my store was the first telescope I had ever used. It as a Celestron FirstScope 114 that is no longer in production, a 4.5 inch f8 classic newtonian. Unlike the current model PowerSeeker 114, it has a EQ2 mount rather than an EQ1, and a red dot finder instead of the unusable 6X30 plastic unit on the PowerSeeker. So after probably a dozen years since last using it I decided it might be interesting to put it through its paces. I fondly recall seeing things like the polar ice cap on Mars at opposition, the GRS spot on Jupiter, the Cassini Division on Saturn and some deep sky objects like M7, the Double Cluster, the M81 M82 pair and a lot of more with this scope. After using a CPC 1100 almost exclusively since, I wanted to confirm to myself that I had really seen those object through the scope.
      The carton it was packed in was not completely sealed so it was covered with a great deal of dust. Looking down at the primary I could see some dark smudges - I didn't know if it was dirt or deterioration of the aluminum coating but luckily very little dust. I decided I would try the scope out before attempting to dismantle and do anything with the mirror.
      I cleaned it up the best I could and assembled it with more difficulty than I recalled having in the past. I used to keep it fully assembled with the latitude set at 9 degrees, the counterweight midway between two of the tripod legs and set it down with the polar axis roughly pointing North. I found that this way a could track an object with the RA slow motion control with only occasionally having to adjust the Declination. I tried to do the same this time but was constrained by having to set up on a narrow balcony rather than on the open ground.
      After having to wait a few day for the unseasonal clouds to clear (It looks like the bad weather issue also applies when you resurrect an old scope?) first target (Drum roll!!!) Albireo which was high up in the eavening sky. I had difficulty finding the target - I guess it was too much to hope that the battery in the red dot finder would still be alive after a dozen years. Using a 20mm eyepiece that came with a  Celestron 102SLT I anxiously searched around and after a few minutes located the unmistakable colorful pair. Encouraged I switched to a 9mm eyepiece from the Celestron Eyepiece and Filter kit - and I must say I was pleased. At 100X the image was sharp and somewhat surprisingly, the collimation seemed very decent.
      The big difficulty was the stability of the mount. A touch of the slow motion controls would start it shaking, taking maybe 5 to 7 seconds to settle. Focusing was the real challenge. I would make a tiny adjustment to the focus wait for it to settle then try again till I felt I had achieved the best possible.
      That was all I had time for the first evening and packed up not too disappointed.
      A couple of days later I had the scope out again. I first tried Jupiter low down in the SW. The seeing was bad but I could clearly see the two equatorial bands and three moons. In the past I had used the 4mm eyepiece from the above mentioned kit for a magnification of 225X. There is a 2X barlow in the kit but I had wanted to use the minimum amount of glass possible. This time I used the barlow with the 9mm eyepiece from the same kit for a magnification of 200X but with a more comfortable eyepoint. When the seeing was more steady for brief moments I though I could see some structure in the belts. My next target was Epsilon Lyrae - the double double. After some difficulty finding the pair and battling with the focuser, I had a rewarding view with both pairs clearly separated at 200X - nice airy discs (almost points) with some hints of diffraction rings.
      And finally for the pièce de résistance, I turned my scope to Saturn about 50 degrees above the horizon. With the 32mm eyepiece the rings were obvious. I carefully changed to the 9mm barlow assembly and frankly was amazed! The Cassini Division was in your face visible - no challenge at all. I felt the coloring of the bands on the planet was move vivid that through the CPC 1100. I could clearly see the shadow of the planet on the rings. Titan was visible with direct vision. The view was crisp to the extent that I thought it could take more magnification. With the CPC 1100 I once had the magnification up to 400X and though I could see the Enke gap as a darkening in the outer ring - but the FirstScope does not break your budget or your back!
      In conclusion I remember reading a review of a 4.5 inch newtonian (I think in was the Orion XT4.5 Dobsonian) and the reviewer mentioning the apo like views given by the diffraction limited spherical f8 primary. Having never had the chance to look through an apo refractor I can't confirm either way but clearly these cheap reflectors are nothing to sneeze at. Were it not for the unsteady mount I would have loved to continue using this scope. I imagine this scope but on a good quality altazimuth mount would make a very good beginner instrument. Hopefully I can pass it on to a youth who is passionate enough about astronomy to tolerate its quirks as I did and put it to good use.

Thanks for reading!

• By semolex
      Hi all, here is my first image for this website and first challenge here

M1 (Crab Nebula) - SNR in Taurus
      Narrowband image (Ha - 3 hours, OIII - 3 hours, SII - 3 hours)
      Taken with GSO RC 6" + ZWO ASI1600MM with ZWO EFW + Optolong NB filters.

Thank you

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.