SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Attempted Solar Shot

Sunshine

Well, after imaging the planets for the first time I figured I would have a go at the sun, NOT SO EASY!!!.

i baked in the sun, like a turtle on its back, trying to focus on my computer screen which at its brightest was useless in the sunlight, anyway, next time I’ll prepare better. 

I have to figure out why the files exported from Registax are so small, 128kb, seems like I have low res selected somewhere.

3E9F3D0E-22BB-415D-8011-508765E2C6F1.jpeg

39 minutes ago, des anderson said:

What`s wrong!!!! I`d be proud of something like that, a great image well done. Des

Problem is, I’m used to looking at the insanely detailed shots others do here, and those become the benchmarks,

A cardboard box cut out on one side works ok for the laptop, I don't image but made a megshift sunshade last year for little leage sign ups and it saved me disappointing my supervisor.

Very nice image ?

42 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

That's a reasonable file size.  What size is your ROI when you are capturing?  What type of camera is it?  My files are around 300kb maximum for solar.

I am using the Celestron Neximage 5, i know colour is not ideal for solar, it is my first planetary cam since i'm just dipping my feet in the AP ocean. Maybe my expectations for file size were wrong, i was imagining that a stack made from 200 images would be larger, it is a 5mp camera, in comparison my first digital camera at 6mp produced 5 mb individual images roughly. i was puzzled as to how after stacking i was getting images in the kb range, am i missing something? is there some significant compression happening?.

I was not capturing at 640x480, i can't remember exact resolution but since the sun is huge in the frame i was selecting high res, next down from highest.

Archived