SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Perseid Detection - Now Live Meteor Reports!

Here's my log up to 11pm (22:00 UTC) today.

Comments based on another I made in imaging, but I thought I ought to start something in this topic:

The numbers I'm picking up from Graves Radar are not much above the past few days. In particular early this morning (green) was not particularly high. I've noticed my threshold is set a bit high - I can see here meteors that aren't being automatically recorded) but I don't want to change it and skew the results.

I suspect the weather is affecting reception and keeping the number down (I'm sure this affected night of 8/8 to midday 9/8 too). Count is unadjusted, I've assumed that 'rogue' detections will average out as a similar amount each day.

The evening seems to be the quietest part of the day at the moment, but has been a bit busier today (green line) with the last two hours being 'busiest yet', hopefully that means we are building to a decent new peak in the early hours!

Right total to 22:00 UTC is 31, previous best for this hour over last five days was 25. Totally clouded so I'm off to bed.

image.png.2fc06cc2fcc14ffda52b2ea04ddf5f3b.png

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks really good Neil.

My data for the morning of the 10th doesn't look right, with a very low count for 9 hours after midnight and virtually nothing detected between 6 and 9am.  I think I had the AGC set incorrectly in HDSDR, but I'm not 100% certain.  My range to GRAVES may make my system more susceptible weather effects too.

For now, here's my log from the 9th using the MD4-Beta logger reading the screen shots directly from HDSDR.  This uses a different capture a method to Spectrum Lab, so the numbers are not directly comparable, but the profile should be similar:

319180921_MD4Beta9thAugust.png.13176fa037297fd12e5442741075ff38.png

And from the evening of the 9th through to the morning of the 12th so far using the Spectrum Lab setup:

1985703317_SLOutput9-12August.png.46112f477f21c31d818ec7ec7542b9a8.png

(Added Data for the morning of the 12th now)

I'm possibly seeing evidence of a double peak in the small hours overnight, but it's too early to tell for sure.  Tonight and Sunday night should show more data.

I'm getting some good pings just now.  Here's a 13 second burst recorded a few minutes ago:

Meteor20180811224323.jpg.abf01f9ae6b7448b4d50b12012ede49e.jpg

Visually, I saw about half a dozen last night until about 2:30am, but was concentrating on doing some DSO work with the dob, so probably would have seen more if not nuzzled up to the eyepiece.

I'm rained off tonight and tomorrow, so it'll be interesting to see the data in the logs.

Richard

10 hours ago, BiggarDigger said:

For now, here's my log from the 9th using the MD4-Beta logger reading the screen shots directly from HDSDR.  This uses a different capture a method to Spectrum Lab, so the numbers are not directly comparable, but the profile should be similar: 

Looks like I got the same biggy at about 12:52:55. I doubt our clock are accurate enough for triangulation ?

image.thumb.jpeg.3c5419a58ed2c892584b13137db2aba3.jpeg

I'm aware  that radar can used for the detection of meteors, but I'd much prefer to see them visually, and when I studied for amateur radio, discovered that meteor scatter, using the ionisation trails that the meteor leaves behind can be used to good effect allowing for  far greater communication distances on the FM bands, but of late, whenever there seems to be some  major astronomical event taking place, the clouds roll in, making visual detection impossible. 

We're not long back in after a (very wet) day out up to Aberdeen with the family.  The clouds were so low on the way back that we were driving through them between Edinburgh and Biggar.  Ho hum, no visible meteors this peak for me.

This is my current strike rate:

531473945_evening12thAugust.png.9b1b5b1efbee966fb4001f18f62fa1e9.png

I didn't see the big spike this morning, but then again the rain was coming down like stair rods as a couple of weather fronts went through.  Recalling my amateur radio work some years ago, I suspect the detection rate will be adversely affected if there is significant turbulence in the line of site path through the troposhpere to the reflecting/scattering medium.

However, I see a clear increase this evening and hoping this continues.  I'm getting some huge reflections just now.

11 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Looks like I got the same biggy at about 12:52:55. I doubt our clock are accurate enough for triangulation ?

image.thumb.jpeg.3c5419a58ed2c892584b13137db2aba3.jpeg

I'd be happy to PM you my lat and lon if you wanted to try triangulate that particular strike.

Richard

4 minutes ago, BiggarDigger said:

However, I see a clear increase this evening and hoping this continues.  I'm getting some huge reflections just now.

Indeed! Looks like it will be a big night. 20:00 - 21:00 UTC is the low point for meteors as we face 'backwards'. Look at the raised level of activity!

14 meteors in the 9 minutes since 21:00, last night was 31 in an hour, so looks like a big one, might be some gaps in the clouds soon, I will venture forth!

image.png.7ee74549ca89c1ed80707193ce5c3c6c.png

Hmmm....something rather odd happened at my site.  Did they switch GRAVES off, or did the rain get in the way, or what?  My hourly totals tanked around midnight local time and stayed low all night:

472218424_13thAugustMorning.png.badd2ce3eceb92062b00b410ba07132b.png

I'm not sure if it's instrumentation error, or a real effect.  I'm rather conflicted between disappointment and curiosity about what happened.

Very strange.

10 hours ago, BiggarDigger said:

I'd be happy to PM you my lat and lon if you wanted to try triangulate that particular strike.

Yours is 2:42:56, mine is 22:42:54. That 300,000km at the speed of light. I think we need super accurate, synchronised clocks ?

I saw the crash back to 'normal levels' but it recovered to higher than last night, now tracking yesterday closely:

image.png.dffe1866cea663b5626e43a37cc24c60.png

10 hours ago, Coto said:

Just set my AOR-8600 up to record audio for 10 hours... It’s hard considering the distance and the antenna (living in Greece and using a DISCONE), but it doesn’t hurt to give it a try!

You should do well, graves goes right over your head - just point your antenna at Corsica!

Dagnabbit!!! ?

I nipped home at lunch to see what the detector had recorded for the rest of the morning and noticed the HDSDR was way off tune.  How long it had been like that is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if it went off tune just before midnight!

Tuned back on frequency....and I have meteors again, not many, but they are there... ?

So, I might look for other RTL control software to feed Spectrum Lab.

Still, it was fun putting this together over the last week and a great learning exercise.  Perhaps I'll make time to re-engineer it over the coming weeks.

Richard

6 minutes ago, BiggarDigger said:

Dagnabbit!!! ?

I nipped home at lunch to see what the detector had recorded for the rest of the morning and noticed the HDSDR was way off tune.  How long it had been like that is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if it went off tune just before midnight!

Tuned back on frequency....and I have meteors again, not many, but they are there... ?

So, I might look for other RTL control software to feed Spectrum Lab.

Still, it was fun putting this together over the last week and a great learning exercise.  Perhaps I'll make time to re-engineer it over the coming weeks.

Richard

I think you can run SpectrumLAB direct, it's just a mega-mission to work out the controls....

As if by magic - the threat of clear skies!

Not a great chance of meteor pictures, but I'll gamble on taking a few hundred 20 minute shots, although this is going to be the 'graveyard shift' as we face away from the feeble remains of the oncoming shower...

Archived