Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher AZ-EQ5 GT Mount Arrived & Set Up

johninderby

Skywatcher AZ-EQ5 GT Mount Arrived & Set Up 

My new mount actually arrived a week ago but had to wait until the other bits arrived. Final bit arrived this lunchtime. Sold the stock steel tripod (along with the Skytee II mount) as I will be using the Berlebach tripod. 

Fitted an ADM saddle using a Primaluce puck. The saddle needed two new mounting holes drilled to fit the puck.

Already had a really good polar scope so fitted it using a 6x30 finder bracket and Skywatcher shoe mounted to an angle bracket that fastens to the stock polar scope mounting point. Much higher quality polar scope than the stock Skywatcher item. I will be using it mostly in Alt-Az but nice to have a polar scope for EQ use though.

Skywatcher WiFi adaptor plugged in and worked perfctly first time using the SkyAlgn app. Mounted my android tablet on a light weight tripod so it can moved to wherever is most convienient. Tablet will also be used for image capture with my ZWO290MM camera.

John

AZ-EQ5-GT-1.jpg

AZ-EQ5-GT-2.jpg

AZ-EQ5-GT-3.jpg

AZ-EQ5-GT-4.jpg

AZ-EQ5-GT-5.jpg

AZ-EQ5-GT-6.jpg

And tonights weather forecast.  Arrrrgh !!!

49DADB12-E7FC-4C35-8E30-CC51A422083E.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Yes it’s the 180. At somewhere around 9 to 9.5kg with the focuser and diagonal etc well within the 15kg rating so should be stable and of course the Berlebach tripod will help with stability as well.  

Now if only the weather will coperate. ?

John

Edited by johninderby

• 9 months later...

Time for a Losmandy dovetail plate. I had fitted a Primaluce dovetail saddle to the mount so time to finish the job and fit a Losmandy plate.

Ordered the OO radius blocks to suit the rings. Bit of carefull measuring and drilled the mounting holes and countersunk the holes on the inside of the rings. Then simply bolted the radius blocks on. Had to drill new mounting holes for the carry handle as the rings are now 15mm further apart and the handle needed moving round the rings a bit as well.

Would have used a Primaluce Losmandy plate to match the saddle but the mounting holes in the plate are 55mm apart not the standard 60mm as used on the radius blocks. Ordered some low headed cap head bolts for bolting the plate onto the blocks as the standard bolts stick out slightly on the bottom of the plate.

4A29BCE5-ADDA-4B7F-B8B2-874E20B9F70C.jpeg

7353C1A8-C57E-45DE-8C15-BA4617B05D32.jpeg

0E01A6A2-0BC8-49E2-BE50-DC19A5678519.jpeg

03FF8001-ACC6-4549-BF0E-64DF36596ADE.jpeg

717FB4C4-BB4E-4F8C-B4F5-7FB6305B1AFF.jpeg

094E6419-4958-476C-85AF-0CBC75440B24.jpeg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Time for a Losmandy dovetail plate. I had fitted a Primaluce dovetail saddle to the mount so time to finish the job and fit a Losmandy plate.

Ordered the OO radius blocks to suit the rings. Bit of carefull measuring and drilled the mounting holes and countersunk the holes on the inside of the rings. Then simply bolted the radius blocks on. Had to drill new mounting holes for the carry handle as the rings are now 15mm further apart and the handle needed moving round the rings a bit as well.

Would have used a Primaluce Losmandy plate to match the saddle but the mounting holes in the plate are 55mm apart not the standard 60mm as used on the radius blocks. Ordered some low headed cap head bolts for bolting the plate onto the blocks as the standard bolts stick out slightly on the bottom of the plate.

4A29BCE5-ADDA-4B7F-B8B2-874E20B9F70C.jpeg

7353C1A8-C57E-45DE-8C15-BA4617B05D32.jpeg

0E01A6A2-0BC8-49E2-BE50-DC19A5678519.jpeg

03FF8001-ACC6-4549-BF0E-64DF36596ADE.jpeg

717FB4C4-BB4E-4F8C-B4F5-7FB6305B1AFF.jpeg

094E6419-4958-476C-85AF-0CBC75440B24.jpeg

To quote  my Dad and most other Dads too as they tighten the last bolt - “ that’s not going no where “ LOL 

Very nice. 

John

Edited by Telescope40

3 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

To quote  my Dad and most other Dads too as they tighten the last bolt - “ that’s not going no where “ LOL 

Very nice. 

John

True only four bolts needed but I  had a box full of the right bolts so filled up the empty holes. 😀

And it is never ever going to go anywhere. 

Edited by johninderby

• 10 months later...

Hello @johninderby I'm looking at a new mount. Big decision.  Seen this post from you and have read up and viewed a few videos of the mount. My NEQ6 Pro has given up the ghost. Maybe a blessing in disguise in the long run, as was getting a bit of a lump to transport from the garage to the garden. 

I was wondering if you still had your AZ EQ5 GT and what  impressions you may have of it after long term use ?

Has it lived up to requirements. Asking if you have found any actual failings. You note in your post you were looking to mount the Mak with a weight of 9KG. Has this gone as planned.

Are the gotos pretty good. I'm looking to mainly use in Alt AZ mode. I've also got a Berlebach tripod I'm looking to mate it to so stability should be better than the standard tripod. The option to set up two scopes in tandem looks appealing. Solar system alignment operation seems a helpful option. Moving it around should be much less problematic that the NEQ6 Pro. 

Many thx in advance for now. 

John 

Hi

Sold it to buy the Rowan AZ100 mount but would like to get another one sometime.

Just used in Alt-Az mode and worked well even when just using the solar system align for quick setup. GOTO was pretty good even so. So convieient when lunar or planetary observing to not have to align the mount but just skew to the target and start tracking.

The AZ-EQ6 would be stronger but also a lot heavier to move. The AZ-EQ5 was easy enough to move outside minus any counterweinpgts on the Berlebach. Not exactly grab’n’go but easy enough.

Edited by johninderby