Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Persieds Last night (Friday)

Pig

The forecast for Saturdays peak looked a non event for the Preseids so I decided to sit out last night and see what happens. I stayed out from 10:40 until 1am and counted 27 meteors, 6 of which we’re really really cool and all 6 appeared just below the Plough. One of the 6 was rather strange in the sense that it was travelling kind of slow and directed straight toward the horizon ( almost like a spent firework falling). All in all I enjoyed the display and it was nice to see some fireball types for a change....... let’s hope the forecast changes for tonight ?

I had clouds all night :( . That one you saw going slow along the horizon may have been either a fireball or more likely a earth grazer . I’ve only seen a few EG in my life and had no camera . But i heard it enter atmosphere and traveled approx 90 degrees across the horizon . That was awesome ! It was early more before sunrise but slightly light , about 7am . It traveled towards the sunrise horizon and exploded but one big chunk continued straight until it dissappeared . Awesome sight . Fireballs are shorter and when they explode can be as bright as the moon . Some fireballs have been captured on video and some have landed in cities and pieces have been found . Meteor showers are fun to watch tho !! 

Saw a few fantastic ones last night and one really odd one..

It was starkly golden colour in the east low down, so it looked like it was skirting roof tops, perfectly horizontal heading south to north.. looked like it was dripping molten material as it went, quite slow lasted about 3 or 4 seconds.. wife saw it too while we were sat out watching..

Heck of  a thing!

I worked a night shift last night and the sky was very good. I don't work outside but spend some time between buildings on an industrial complex so get plenty of opportunities to look at the sky. 

Despite specifically looking I never saw a single meteor. About 10.30 I did see a very bright and off-white satellite travelling from north to south but east of overhead. It looked like Mars, with similar brightness. Went into shadow soon after culminating.

Interesting but ain't no Geminid :)

I was out to abut 2:30am last night, concentrating mainly on feint fuzzies with the dob, but was lucky enough to count half a dozen bright meteors to the East when I took a break from the eyepiece.  One strike, sometime around 1:30am, seemed to have two parts, re-brightening after it had initially begun to fade, before finally disappearing.

The sky was clear and seeing good; the MilkyWay clearly visible to the naked eye all the way from the southern horizon up, over and down to Cassiopeia and beyond.  Dark dust areas visible too.  Beautiful.

The weather forecast for tonight and Sunday is not good, so I'll need to use the radio meteor detector instead.

Was out last night between about 11pm and 3.30am and although I wasn't just looking for Perseids I did see a fair few during the eve. Forecast is pretty poor for the next week so think that was my one and only chance. Great seeing the bright ones passing through the milky way stars.

Hey, it sounds like quite a few of us had some decent views, it’s a pity about tonight in Northants being forecast so cloudy as last night was pretty good and wasn’t even the peak time. I am toying with the idea of travelling to somewhere where the forecast is not so grim ?

Update - Having just looked at the forecast it appears the whole of the UK will be covered in cloud with quite a few storms thrown in, so I guess a TV night is on the menu.

Great to read these reports! 

Maybe we saw the same thing Pig, a spent firework is what i thought it looked like too. It lasted 5 or 6 seconds and was travelling north, really cool to see and a lovely night to be out.

I didn't see too many in the time I spent outside -- only half a dozen, but there were a couple of crackers.  Sadly there's no hope tonight and tomorrow looks equally poor according to the forecast :(

James

Archived