SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AZEQGT6 - Caution Dec/Alt not responding...

Jbro1985

I am using this guy:  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/nevada-ps-08-6a-8a-regulated-linear-power-supply.html

However, there doesn't seem to be any amp output at all (not normally set up like in the pic!):  https://drive.google.com/open?id=18CFxacYUDNeWbuKTD4NUnQscDeJ42RE7

I then tried to power a cigarette lighter phone charger on the supply and whilst the phone said it was recieving power, the amp output needle still remained at zero.  Feels like the power supply is the problem now?  Is that a reasonable deduction? I'm pretty sure the needle used to move!

I suspect a bad connection. The cable connection at the mount is a suspect area (common problem with SE mounts.) It may pass the voltage at idle but not with the motor trying to run.

When working with electrics it is always useful to have a multi-test meter on hand. They are available cheaply from various outlets. To test your power supply, get a used car headlamp and connect it up. The filament will draw about 5 amps at 12volts, so it should light brilliantly and the PSU needle whack over to show several amps.

A flashing power light on the AZeq6/gt is not always a sysptom of lack of power it depends how often and how fast. If you read the manual think,if my memory serves me (doh) ,it can mean other things - e.g. PEC in use !!!!!!

Does the mount move when asked ? if not then yep power/board/connection problem as stated above by CG.

Alt and Dec are non responsive.  I haven't direct PC direct control as yet but I have a feeling that isn't going to work (I will try never the less later).

The flashing is fairly rapid.  I will take a video and link it later when the sun goes down as it's too bright to see properly right now.  An extract from the manual is below:  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/user/AZ_EQ6-GT_instruction_manual.pdf (page 16 for full text)

Power LED: The power LED serves as a power-on indicator and provides other statuses.

1. Steady on: Power voltage is normal.

2. Slow flashing: Power voltage is low; continuing to operate the mount may damage the battery (if a 12V lead-acid battery is in use).

3. Fast flashing: Power voltage is extremely low; continuing to operate the mount may damage the battery and the motor controller in the mount. 

4. Intermittent one flash: The PPEC training routine has been triggered, but the controller in the mount has not received the worm index signal and the correction-recoding has not started yet.

5. Intermittent two flashes: The PPEC training routine has been started and the controller in the mount has received the worm index signal and started to record the PE correction. When the intermittent two fl ashes stops, it means the PPEC training has fi nished.

6. Intermittent, three flashes: Sidereal tracking with PEC is now enabled.

It seems I am getting Point 3, in yellow.  The handset is telling me 13.7v that is what is recommended is coming through, so I have a feeling Haitch might be on the money with the amperage and that the power supply is buggered, or there is a cable issue stopping the throughput (particularly as the amperage needle is not moving).  Ultimately, I need to find a good way to test the amperage on the "12v" socket but I am not, as one would say, a tinkerer, so I don't have things like old car lights kicking around. 

My Hi-tec Astro Focus Master should run off of it, right?  Though I'm sure the draw is minimal on that, when I tried it, the amperage needle didn't move for that either.    

I haven't used the mount for a few weeks and the power supply is normally kept in a water tight container outside.  I'm wondering if it has succumbed to the heat of the last few weeks.  I also keep the mount outside but under weatherproof covering.

Hi Jason

Do you have any 12v devices - e.g. car tyre inflator ,high powered lamp etc that you can connect to your battery. These devices are high currect and will fail quickly if he battery is U/S.

Had a leisure battery just go on my caravan - it got very very hot and I could smell "bad eggs" (Gas) BUT it sill gave a reading of 13V but wouldn't work under load.

P.S. Have you a decent 12V(5 amps for short testing will do ) PSU that can be driver from 240AC - that would test the mount !

Hope you get sorted.

Hi Proto, 

I am using a PSU rather than a battery at the moment.  I don't have a battery.  I just tried a Roypow converter https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roypow-Voltage-Converter-Adapter-Cigarette/dp/B01J5BMRNM

I got the same flashing light and caution Dec/Alt no response.  On this occassion the handset was reading that the power supplied was 12.5 volt...  That I guess eliminates the power supply from being the potential issue.  I hope it's the cable!!!

As a quick update.  I just rigged up my moonlite focuser properly and used the hitec astro focus master on the same power supply as I use for the mount.  Using the hand controller, I was able to use the focuser perfectly well and so that was obtaining power fine from the PSU.

I think it's either the cable or the mount itself rather than the power supply now.  Has anyone had any issues with the cables?

Archived