Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_inspirational_skies.thumb.jpg.a20cdbfeadc049807f6d78e6c00ee900.jpg

ZiHao

Stars or Noise?

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Before attempting to video the Perseid Meteor Shower this year, I try to get general idea of the settings of ASI120MC with the All Sky Camera tonight but I found out that there are a lot of 'stars' in the video, more than what I was expected ( my site: 18.16 Mag, so there shouldn't be so many stars in the view ). I endeavour to identify any perceptible, fixed pattern that I recognize in the video but I couldn't find any of them, therefore my prediction is the dots in the video may be noise, not stars. The brightest object it can capture is just Mars, Jupiter and planes. I wonder whether this is good enough to capture any meteors? What do you think? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Happy viewing

Edited by ZiHao
  • Like 1

May just be hot pixels on the sensor if they're all the same size and quite bright, they can be removed in processing.

Meteors are quite bright so you should capture some OK.

Dave

• Thanks 1

It would help if you could remove the humid, cloudy atmosphere before capture. ;)

Go for it, why not?

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Record separate videos of the footage or take multiple photos and stack them together ( timelapse )? What are your recommedations? Settings? I am using Sharpcap.