Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_the_milky_way.thumb.jpg.dbd8b15e81d11e9303c8d6ef1898ac08.jpg

Kev M

Kev M's Observatory Build

I did contemplate sketchup but opted for the tried and tested.....bag of a fag packet.

Almost certainly I will regret this but needed to get moving before winter comes, or I die of old age....could go either way on this.

Decided I wanted an Obsy about 4 years ago...had to get house extn finished first and convince SWMBO ( that bit took longer ).🤐

whatever way works is the right way!

I'm just a bit nerdy when it comes to computer-aided design and planning stuff 🤣

I know how it feels, Kev.  My initial design (also in Sketchup) is coming up for its seventh birthday next week and I only started building a couple of months ago!

James

• Like 1

Managed to get the framework for the roof done yesterday and tied the structure securely to the stable. ( will post pics later ).

Now looking to source some plywood ( at a sensible price 🤔 ) for the roof , might end up going with OSB3 but its not much different in price and less issues with plywood in the future if there are any leaks, ( plywood gets damp, OSB turns into weetabix ).

Have some left over fibreglass from extn build so tempted to give it a go. Like the idea of fibreglass as it will cover all nooks & crannies and can be added to later ( if I have any drastic design changes.....which is highly likely ). I have 2 cats and dont like the thought of them tearing the rubber roof to bits ( they are scratch mad 🙄 ).

Havent quite worked out the rolling roof bit yet, still thinking about this.

Pictures of roof frame from the other day

IMG_3785.thumb.JPG.4d0a43f85b9bb121562986e52eb9a0d3.JPG

Bit of thought required to connect onto existing shed

IMG_3787.thumb.JPG.1ed7b2459f062067845b8d8b2c93974d.JPG

• Like 1

Got distracted now with new toy

IMG_3782.JPG.e6bff1ca8056a57ae0094e7a69024107.JPG

Some wear and tear to chrome and scratches on paint, but optically & mechanically sound

• Like 1