SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Kev M's Observatory Build

Kev M

I did contemplate sketchup but opted for the tried and tested.....bag of a fag packet.

Almost certainly I will regret this but needed to get moving before winter comes, or I die of old age....could go either way on this.

Decided I wanted an Obsy about 4 years ago...had to get house extn finished first and convince SWMBO ( that bit took longer ).?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Managed to get the framework for the roof done yesterday and tied the structure securely to the stable. ( will post pics later ).

Now looking to source some plywood ( at a sensible price ? ) for the roof , might end up going with OSB3 but its not much different in price and less issues with plywood in the future if there are any leaks, ( plywood gets damp, OSB turns into weetabix ).

Have some left over fibreglass from extn build so tempted to give it a go. Like the idea of fibreglass as it will cover all nooks & crannies and can be added to later ( if I have any drastic design changes.....which is highly likely ). I have 2 cats and dont like the thought of them tearing the rubber roof to bits ( they are scratch mad ? ).

Havent quite worked out the rolling roof bit yet, still thinking about this.

• 1 month later...

Apologies been away for a while ……  some more updates

Got the warm room roof on...

IMG_3811.JPG.c956a2ec4a4ce404ef9439212f259809.JPG

OOPs, sorry this one

IMG_3837.JPG.d80563b47075554a8f62182a7fdb8851.JPG

Went for the fibreglass option as there were some complicated joins to existing structures and it and strength to the roof.

OK had a load of leftover resin, topcoat and matting from house extn build.... so it cost me nowt.....!

Archived