Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kev M's Observatory Build

Kev M

Finally after much persuation ( mainly begging profusely ! ) , SWMBO has finally given me permission to build my Obsy.

There are of course strict provisions around this, basically it goes where she says, regardless of what is actually the best location astronomically speaking.

Also the existing shed ( ex-stable ) is not to be used as she has plans for this for her craftroom etc.

Anyhow her X marks the spot is not too badly situated.

View looking south

IMG_3772.thumb.JPG.b503fa7cf51ad9303dcbc00c9bd31e54.JPG

View looking East

IMG_3775.JPG.88fd12acd6b6774b2d4fa57d94a34c04.JPG

Looking West ---might have to trim hedge a bit

IMG_3773.thumb.JPG.27ba303a1ffead918b730a3e04f79c8f.JPG

And lastly looking North

IMG_3774.JPG.293ac82f3dd09729d2614f7ec7665026.JPG

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some minor obstructions, but nothing too serious should have reasonable visibility to at over 50% of the sky.

Small problem above

IMG_3777.JPG.141c38e15cc143966f6188e72dc0b240.JPG

Can see them causing issues further down the line, but beggars cant be choosers, will have to work around them.

For most of us a limited sky view is normal, some are lucky and get it all.
An observatory is a dream for many of us and for those who achieve it I understand quite a seismic shift.
Good luck with the build, keep posting with lots of pictures and sketches, helps keep the dreamers such as myself sane.

I only came across the term yesterday, I think it's American, but an outbuilding used by a female for a hobby etc can be referred to as a "She-Shed"

So when you are finished with your Obsy you will have your "He-Shed" & she will have her "She-Shed"  ?

Seems fair.

13 minutes ago, lenscap said:

I only came across the term yesterday, I think it's American, but an outbuilding used by a female for a hobby etc can be referred to as a "She-Shed"

So when you are finished with your Obsy you will have your "He-Shed" & she will have her "She-Shed"  ?

Seems fair.

State Farm Insurance commercial about She-Shed.

Oooh, another observatory build thread.  Excellent.  I look forward to seeing how you get on.

It does however appear that the most awkward obstruction to your view of the sky is the grey stuff floating about over your head.

James

3 hours ago, JamesF said:

It does however appear that the most awkward obstruction to your view of the sky is the grey stuff floating about over your head.

Reminds me of my days living in upstate New York.  Day after day of clouds with no rain.  Yuck! ?

In Texas, our clouds mean business (thunderstorms or hurricanes) ⛈️ or they're just puffy white friendly ones on a deep blue background ?️:

D85_6746-Pano-Edit.jpg

Actually got started on the Obsy a couple of days ago so have made some progress.

There is a convenient large concrete slab ( very large ) where the Obsy is to be sited.

This is good but will require something to prevent the wood frame from directly contacting the ground and being saturated during the rainy season....!

Decided to place a concrete plinth a little bit wider than the walls for the frame to sit on.

IMG_3739.JPG.bda3762d3ba9e4f36ac5344accddb281.JPG

At the other end you can see the existing shed that it will be connecting to.

IMG_3740.JPG.82dd2fa7097992a48d6ec2ea4df3765b.JPG

Fence needs a bit of TLC....

Threw some frames together

IMG_3741.JPG.55cecfca5a951996e4c319b048c8d658.JPG

My willing helpers...actually more of a hindrance, yes sweetheart , you let your grandaughter play amongst the dangerous tools and raggedy bits of wood, health and safety is not her strongpoint....

IMG_3742.thumb.JPG.4da3364364d5d494e7b5cd087b20ad68.JPG

5 minutes ago, Kev M said:

Decided to place a concrete plinth a little bit wider than the walls for the frame to sit on.

WIth a layer of DPC material between the concrete and the walls I reckon that should be good.

Fence needs a bit of TLC....

No, not at all.  What it needs is a flamethrower, and then a new fence ?

James

4 minutes ago, JamesF said:

WIth a layer of DPC material between the concrete and the walls I reckon that should be good.

No, not at all.  What it needs is a flamethrower, and then a new fence ?

James

Havent bolted it down yet, giving conrete some time to go off properly, can then lift and insert some plastic under the walls.

Yeah, think the fence is best as firewood....lol

Just now, JamesF said:

I hope the door is big enough to get the mixer out :D

James

No its staying in there, as you can see it already EQ mounted, going to aluminise the inside, point it north and with the use of a secondary mirror and an eyepiece..... et voila....

1 hour ago, Astrokev said:

That's a lot of progress in only 7 hours from your OP ?.

Are you sure you didn't finish the obsy weeks ago and this is a retrospective summary ?

Hi Kev, as I did mention earlier.....started a few days ago.......?

Yeah wish it was finished, walls go up really quickly and then you get into the time consuming fiddly bits.

Currently doing some jiggery pokery to get it to join onto existing, much cutting....and recutting....many, many screws.

You will also notice that there is no fixed pier there at the moment, due to the issues with the hedge had to make the walls a bit higher than I would have liked so will be trialling it with tripod to get the correct hieght before constructing a pier.I am sure that you can recall the additional work involved in that.

Hence although the build appears rapid there will be a lot of retrospective work to do.?

Main plan at moment to get wall frames and fixed roof done. 

Very sensible, getting the tripod out and trying things for size.  I did exactly the same and felt much more confident that I was doing what would work for me as a result.

Getting the roof on is a big step forward too, I think.  It means you can work on some things even if the weather is a bit iffy.

James

I did the design for my pier height all in SketchUp, and it's proven accurate.

The only thing now is, having finished the concrete pier, I may need  to increase the pier height as I've changed from a Newt reflector to a Frac and SCT.

SketchUp wasn't clever enough to have predicted this (maybe this level of clairvoyance comes with the non-free version ? ?)

Archived