Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Herts

Markkus

Hi from Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire.

Mars' recent proximity re-ignited my interest in matters celestial.  I dusted off an old refractor and set about finding my way around.  Until a few days ago, skies around here have been amazingly clear and the nights warm.   Now the weather has returned with a vengeance, but last night the clouds cleared enough for some views of Saturn, Lyra, Cassiopeia and Andromeda.

Anyway, this place looks like a treasure trove of information and I look forward to further education. 

Regards

Mark

16 hours ago, mark81 said:

Hello and welcome, which refractor do you have ?

Thanks for the friendly welcomes. 

Since you ask, the refractor is one of those Bresser-sourced items from that well-known emporium of astronomical stuff - LiDL.  :embarrassed:  A 70 / 700.  It hasn't been used for some time, but seems OK optically.  The mount could do with some maintenance.  I was employing it to look at Jupiter yesterday evening and even though it wasn't completely dark, I could see several moons.

I am finding binoculars very useful for less specific observation.  I have a new pair of 10x50 Prakticas which I took a chance on, since I haven't seen them reviewed anywhere.  They claim BAK4 prisms, a 7.5° FOV and fully multi-coated optics, and they seem pretty good to me.

Hello Mark and welcome from a total noob im not far from you.im near bishops stortford.Yes the skies were amazingly clear during that hot spell and we had a fab viee of mars i have no scope or binoculars as of yet just my weary old eyes lol.

Im hoping to get a scope in the next couple of months.

Look forward to seeing you around on the forum.

Hello Orac i have been using a star app on my phone. I have been having fun with kust my eyes i borrowed some binoculars but i was way to shakey wirh them.

Im looking forward to getting a scope but im not going to rush in.

Thank you for your reply anf best wishes from me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark, 

Welcome to SGL. It is a great forum and helped me no end when I first started out (and still does!) 

I don't know if you're aware, but there is an astronomy club that meets in WGC on the second Wednesday of every month (apart from summer) the venue is the Panshanger golf club, and the first meeting of this year will be 12th September. We're a friendly bunch, and all you need is some interest and enthusiasm. 

You don't have to join straight away, it's £3.50 per meeting or £20 for the whole year. 

Website is here if you fancy taking a look

http://www.skiesunlimited.co.uk/HAG/

Hope to see you there, I wish you clear skies! 

Hello Mark and welcome im only 2 weeks old on here and a total green behind the ears noobie.im in east herts,sawbridgeworth.

I got my 1st scope on monday.And yes it has been cloudy.

Absolutely fantastic friendly warm helpful and knowledgeable bunch on here.i wouldnt go anywhere else.they are amazing like yhe sky.

Have fun and look forward to seeing tou on the forum.

Best regards from me

Dave 

Hi Mark, welcome to SGL.

You have a good astronomy supplier in Welwyn Garden City, 'The Sky's The Limit', I have met Alan, the owner, he is a very nice and helpful chap, I bought all my BST Explorers (StarGuiders) from him. 

Enjoy the adventure!

Welcome back to astronomy... and yes.. when youre not looking up its clear.. the moment you bring out the scope, clouds arrive, telescopes and astronomy gear are cloud magnets.. its like the quantum physics particle behaviors.... when you're not looking it acts as a wave.. when looking it acts as particles....

Archived