Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASI120MM All Sky Camera

ZiHao

Hi all,

I am intending to use this camera to capture some Perseid meteors on its peak time. After I installed the native driver for the asi camera, I plugged in the camera with the all sky camera using USB 3.0 cable into my laptop, but nothing pops up. Do I need any external power for the camera? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!

Clear Skies!

The ASI120MM will only work in a usb2 socket. It will not work in a usb3 socket. I seem to remember that the documentation states this somewhere.

As long as you have installed the latest driver software from the ZWO site, then it should work correctly.

The ASI120MM-S is the camera that works in a usb3 socket.

Tony

• 3 months later...
On 10/08/2018 at 07:16, Star Struck said:

The ASI120MM will only work in a usb2 socket. It will not work in a usb3 socket. I seem to remember that the documentation states this somewhere.

As long as you have installed the latest driver software from the ZWO site, then it should work correctly.

The ASI120MM-S is the camera that works in a usb3 socket.

Tony

Also looking to build an allsky camera with the ASI120mm. It looks like they only make the 3.0 version now, but what is the biggest drawback to it? Why would they make it 3.0 when so many people are having problems connecting to the imaging software? 

Just trying to wrap my head around the differences because I want to make sure it will work for my setup.

The original USB2 ASI120 could have problems with some systems because it didn't comply with the USB2 specification.  A modification was made to try to get the camera to transfer data faster.  ZWO are not the only people to have done this, in fact.  I believe QHY have in the past as well.  Some hardware and software didn't care, but some did and wouldn't work properly.  There's a different version of the camera firmware that is supposed to resolve this.

I'm not aware of any similar issues with the USB3 model.

James

Archived