Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DIY pier

Anthonyexmouth

starting to plan my pier, cant decide over concrete or steel or even steel filled with concrete.

if concrete im thinking 8 or 10 inch and metre high with internal power routing for a socket. 

is 8" wide enough? i've only got an heq5 at the moment but may want an eq6-r later. 

anyone got any experience and advice on pitfalls i can avoid?

1 hour ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

concrete or steel or even steel filled with concrete.

Used 8" plastic under ground pipe filled with concrete topped with VW golf brake disc's works perfectly for my AZEQ6/GT - just remember to implant the steel screw rods in the final secion of the concrete pour using a template to keep things straight while the concrete goes "off". 

Pro using Plastic pipe

1. No painting - i like brown LOL

2. No rust - except for brake disc's and bolts

3. Light to move around on the built.

4. Cheaper than steel.

Cons:

1. No adjustment once concrete poured - hence use templates and supports for the pipe

2. Heavy work mixing concrete even with a cement mixer.

Whatever you choose hope all goes to plan ?

Most of me pier is 7.25" diameter concrete using a cardboard mailing tube for support while the concrete set and that has an EQ8 mount on it.  Solid as a rock!  Well, it is rock ?  I would have used plastic pipe if I could have got it when I built mine 7 years ago.  Used rebar and some SS 14mm threaded rod bent at the bottom end and held with a wooden "template" while the concrete set, as post above.

I used a double air-con ducting construction, filled with concrete.

A 300mm diameter outer, sunk 2M into the ground, then a smaller 150mm plastic duct, in the middle into which are fixed stainless steel rods, which hold the mounting plates.  There are some pictures here somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I used a double air-con ducting construction, filled with concrete.

A 300mm diameter outer, sunk 2M into the ground, then a smaller 150mm plastic duct, in the middle into which are fixed stainless steel rods, which hold the mounting plates.  There are some pictures here somewhere.

2 metres in the ground. not sure i've ever had to dig footings that deep. 

To save Peter the trouble I'll also mention the "Todmorden pier" :D

If you've not seen postings about them already, in their simplest form they're hollow concrete blocks bolted end to end to achieve the height you're after, bolted into concrete slabs or a foundation block.  Lots cheaper than steel, based on the prices I was being quoted for my observatory, and far less work mixing concrete.  If you search the forums you'll find a few examples.

I'm not going to say they're "better" (however you might define it) than steel or concrete-filled plastic/cardboard.  Just different.  But worthy of consideration, certainly.

James

6 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I have a powered ground auger, which made it easy.....

So there's no issue with it being only 300 wide, I guess the depth compensates. Could do the same, I've got an auger, biggest I got is 250 but could hire a 300. Would you use a 150 post again or go bigger?

Archived