Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Liverpool - just bought a Skyliner 200P

PaulM

Hi,

Thought I would introduce myself

Been into Astronomy since I can remember which is over 40 years and was pretty obsessive when I was a lad on Astronomy and Cosmology

Decided to purchase a decent telescope so have just ordered a Skyliner 200P Dob and a ZWO ASI 120MC-S USB 3.0 Colour Camera - I currently have a 4" telescope which I have had for years but have taken the plunge and got me some decent kit a which I can capture images from, plan to mount the 200P on a HEQ5 mount in the future

Really good forum here and used it to research\purchase the 200P and who to purchase it from which was FLO

Anyway will no doubt spend hours trawling through the posts on here and hopefully learn something along the way haha

cheers

Paul

Hi I'm John from wisbech-st-mary cambs all this is new to me just starting up bought a skywatcher 90mm telescope on a eq2 mount and a 3.0mp usb telescope camera  but not got use to setting everything up yet but have looked and photographed moon but having problems setting camera 

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you mentioned the HEQ shortly after the ZWO?
Skyliner Dob and Camera are not  something you often see in the same sentence due to the way a Dob works,  unless the Dob itself is  equipped or modded to be able to track its target, therefore, the first thing that came to  mind, after reading ZWO was  Why?  but somehow I think you know what your doing, and where your going?

Whatever happens, enjoy the process.

9 hours ago, Charic said:

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you mentioned the HEQ shortly after the ZWO?
Skyliner Dob and Camera are not  something you often see in the same sentence due to the way a Dob works,  unless the Dob itself is  equipped or modded to be able to track its target, therefore, the first thing that came to  mind, after reading ZWO was  Why?  but somehow I think you know what your doing, and where your going?

Whatever happens, enjoy the process.

Cheers Charic

Initially I plan to just get some video capture of Jupiter\Mars and learn the software and camera setup and generally get back into the habit of heading out at night and looking upwards and familiarizing myself again with the constellations\objects of interest as its been a long long time

Once I'm more settled I'll get a suitable mount (HEQ5) and go-to setup much like this one on FLO

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html

and then head into North Wales for some DSO observing\astrophotography once the winter earlier dark skies set in

well that's the plan !!

Thanks for all we welcomes

Spend all last evening\night on here reading up on things and took my 4" reflector out into the garden to view Jupiter after reading up on eyepieces and how the different sizes behave

Great forum and members, so much knowledge and experience on here ?

Also acquired some new goodies last night;

Collimation Cap - read up on collimation and how to check\set this up

BST 2x barlow lens

BST 15mm and 8mm eyepieces to compliment the 10mm and 25mm that will come with the 200P telescope

Telrad finder

Also joined the Liverpool Astronomical Society who meet regularly at Leighton Observatory so have join the club and will meet up with them soon

On 09/08/2018 at 14:55, Fen piker said:

Hi I'm John from wisbech-st-mary cambs all this is new to me just starting up bought a skywatcher 90mm telescope on a eq2 mount and a 3.0mp usb telescope camera  but not got use to setting everything up yet but have looked and photographed moon but having problems setting camera 

Hi John, welcome. 

12 hours ago, PaulM said:

Also acquired some new goodies last night;

........BST 15mm and 8mm eyepieces to compliment the 10mm and 25mm that will come with the 200P telescope........

Not sure they'll compliment, more like replace! although the Skywatcher 25mm isn't too bad.

The wide eye lens and the 60° afov makes the Starguider's  very comfortable to use, at least for me. 

Hi, Paul, and welcome to SGL.

I would just echo what has been said above about trying to image with a dob. Just be prepared for finding that trying to keep the planet on the small chip of the 120 for any length of time will be frustrating. On the plus side, when you move to the HEQ5, you will find it sooooo much easier.

Enjoy the journey.

Archived