SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Collecting MicroMeteorites During The Perseids

19 minutes ago, AstroBlaney said:

Hi guys. Just a question on the neodymium magnets. Where would you say is best to pick these up? Do high street stores sell neodymium magnets? The only places I can see are really online or amazon so wondered if anyone has any other reputable outlets that would sell them. 

Mine have come from Amazon or Ebay.  I've not come across any in high street shops, but I've not exactly looked hard.

James

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/08/2018 at 23:11, Stu said:

On 12/08/2018 at 21:57, SIDO said:

One hit per square meter each year, very suppotive of what I have been saying, thank you John.

This seems like an incredibly low rate?

Probably from the assumption they are 1mm across, as many are significantly smaller.

At the moment I think I have a pair of 50mm x 25mm x 10mm N52 magnets separated by a very thin sliver of plastic (so I can slide them apart if I want to) inside a ziploc bag.  Using the bag means the potential meteorite material collects on the outside and can be removed by turning the bag inside out.  In theory at least it might help keep the magnets dry, too.

James

9 hours ago, JamesF said:

At the moment I think I have a pair of 50mm x 25mm x 10mm N52 magnets separated by a very thin sliver of plastic (so I can slide them apart if I want to) inside a ziploc bag.  Using the bag means the potential meteorite material collects on the outside and can be removed by turning the bag inside out.  In theory at least it might help keep the magnets dry, too.

James

Thanks, James. Appreciate it. 

Archived