My new grab & go frac

Since selling on my old WO ZS66SD & Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod/fluid video head combo, I've desperately missed grab & go simplicity. That was an expensive setup though and having spent so much on my main scope, I couldn't replace it like for like.

A few weeks ago though, I spotted Orions new Tritech II tripod with fluid head @ £79 and I was intrigued, could it be as good as the Manfrotto at this price? I was itching to buy it but had no scope to go on it so eventually I pulled the trigger on both.

I went for the humble ST80, this time in Omegon livery, simply because I'm fed up seeing Sky-Watcher plastered over all my gear! Also I prefer the gloss black finish and it was cheap enough without tube rings. It is my preference for a dovetail bolted directly to the OTA with this type of scope, so, fresh out of the box I got to drilling the OTA to accept a short length of dovetail I'd cut down, drilled & tapped and primed & painted ready. While I was at it, I flocked the dew shield, front section of tube and baffle and flat black painted the leading edge of the focuser tube which was shining away bright silver. The objective was not loose in the cell, but a tap resulted in a tinkle, so I gave it a tube tap collimation before re-assembling.

Had an Altair dielectric diagonal lying around for a while and a spare RDF so the setup is complete.

Obviously it is cloudy outside but a quick look at a few terrestrial targets with various EP's revealed a nice focus snap and sharp image, even at x100 mag. Focuser is smooth enough but quite stiff, it will get a TS monorail before long! A dash of colour on the brightest of white streetlights, but really not as bad as I'd imagined.

The tripod feels very nice for the price. I was surprised to find not only is it a fluid head, but it is counterbalanced too, a feature normally only found on more expensive video fluid heads. The scope is quite tail heavy but saddle can be slid forward without falling out due to a safety latch and the friction is easily adjusted on the mount. When set correctly, it stays put wherever you aim it. Both Alt & Az axes are lovely and smooth with a light fluid drag feel, just right for this scope. Also, unlike the Manfrotto, this tripod extends high enough for me to observe stood up straight and is sturdy at the same time. The whole lot is easily picked up in one hand and walked around the garden which is just what I wanted.

Really looking forward to giving this a blast under the stars, should fill in on those nights when I can't be bothered to drag the HEQ5 out :)

20180808_213201.thumb.jpg.e90ef709c15aa38c474b5575cdd1a01e.jpg

20180808_213056.thumb.jpg.f4fd75ac1cdc08a66d89f25fb446f4d8.jpg 20180808_213114.thumb.jpg.5b91a75d0b83e790ddc02c0f4c88ec62.jpg

20180808_213122.thumb.jpg.765b2bf13a3d01ba4a61d61a5fe06bec.jpg 20180808_213143.thumb.jpg.3c481551e85c6730b1183831f2e240e1.jpg

Nice setup Jon :smiley:

Small, light setups like that can give a lot of fun and satisfaction. You can observe on a whim more or less and grab some views in the gaps even when the clouds are scurrying about the sky.

Very tidy Jon. People's ideas vary as to what constitutes a grab 'n' go scope (lug 'n' go?) but that looks ultra portable for those "whim" moments as John nicely puts it. That 24mm will give some great wide field views.

I was out last night with my ST80 and grandkids the last couple of nights looking at few old favorites (new for them). From a city, it was giving us some nice views of the Double Cluster, M27, M13, M57, and few doubles.

I'm looking forward to your first light report!

Archived