Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help! 550d disassembly problem

Thalestris24

So I got the Draper set today but the smallest crosshead 000 doesn't fit! Aaargh! I'm thinking the jeweller's screwdrivers I've been using are actually the JIS standard - anyone know? I can't see anywhere that actually does a 000 JIS with a grippy handle ? Maybe I'll have to try and drill them out but that seems very risky. Stuck now :(

Louise

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

So I got the Draper set today but the smallest crosshead 000 doesn't fit! Aaargh! I'm thinking the jeweller's screwdrivers I've been using are actually the JIS standard - anyone know? I can't see anywhere that actually does a 000 JIS with a grippy handle ? Maybe I'll have to try and drill them out but that seems very risky. Stuck now :(

Louise

I used the cheap Draper set, about £5.00 in the local market, to take my 450da apart, is the 550d that different ?

Dave

54 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I used the cheap Draper set, about £5.00 in the local market, to take my 450da apart, is the 550d that different ?

Dave

Hi Dave

Probably not, I don't know! But the drivers are a little different...

Here is draper vs jewellers driver tips:

Draper_v_jeweller.jpg.4baf7b2b08d3babd329056531c69a90f.jpg

Draper on the left. The tips are slightly different and the Draper won't mate with the stuck Canon screws. Maybe I already damaged them slightly...

Louise

4 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You really need a pozidrive (flat on the end) not a phillips. You could try stoning or filing the end off the phillips driver

If you have a Wickes nearby I think their set contains PZ000, PZ00 and PZ0, I had no trouble doing my 450D with it.

That's confusing me even more :( and no diy stores nearby - I rely on amazon/ebay. I have the impression that pozidriv drivers are meant for different screws??

Canon are Japanese so it makes sense that they would use their screw/driver standards. Maybe there's a gizmo available that would enable me to deliver more torque with the jewellers screwdrivers?

Louise

41 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Came across this - but there must be an easier way!

I've used a small pair of mole grips on the handle but this sometimes results in the handle coming loose from the blade, guess you can't expect much for a fiver :grin:

Maybe as a last resort you could try a small dob of araldite in the head then hold the screwdriver in it until it hardens, probably need to make some sort of jig to hold it and keep it pressed into the head otherwise you'll get arm ache.

Dave

I had a lightbulb moment and came up with this: (it's an old meccano gear wheel - knew it would come in handy one day)

Gizmoadj.jpg.4d899304d3524ca8543f1321da2e3024.jpg

It works quite well! I've been able to undo another screw - there were actually 3 to go, not 2, I suddenly realised. But I think I have actually damaged the remaining ones.  One is on the bottom and from the 3 that encircle where the lens goes, and one is on the bottom and next to the battery compartment. It's looking like I'm going to have to try and drill them. A dentist's drill would be handy, ha ha.

I'll have a look tomorrow.

Louise

1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

Canon are Japanese so it makes sense that they would use their screw/driver standards. Maybe there's a gizmo available that would enable me to deliver more torque with the jewellers screwdrivers?

The Jeweller's screwdriver is closer to a Pozidrive (PZ) shape than a phillips shape (PH).

I've got the sizes wrong but the Wickes set includes PZ and PH.

I ahve some jwellers screwdrivers with holes through them so you can use a second screwdriver as a tommy bar.

You could just grip the body with pliers, but make sure you keep the driver pressed into the screw so it can't pop out.

<edit> I see you have devised a solution!

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The Jeweller's screwdriver is closer to a Pozidrive (PZ) shape than a phillips shape (PH).

I've got the sizes wrong but the Wickes set includes PZ and PH.

I ahve some jwellers screwdrivers with holes through them so you can use a second screwdriver as a tommy bar.

You could just grip the body with pliers, but make sure you keep the driver pressed into the screw so it can't pop out.

<edit> I see you have devised a solution!

Necessity truly is the mother of invention! Shame I didn't think of it before. Oh well.

The drill did the job - yay! Managed to snap one 1.5mm drill bit but put it down to collateral damage... Made holes in the screws so I could get a small flat-bladed driver in. Lost the screwhead from one but managed to undo the other complete. Result! :D

Louise

Archived