Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help! 550d disassembly problem

Thalestris24

Hi all

I'm trying to replace the main board on a 550d (in the hope it will fix an error). I've actually managed to remove the main board ok but I actually need to undo the front part of the camera in order to reassemble it. I'm stuck with trying to remove two of the tiny Philips head screws (http://dslrmodifications.com/rebelmod550Dstep12.html) step 15 and 16. Trouble is I can't loosen the screws :( Can anyone give me a tip as to how to do this please? I'm trying not to mess the screws up. I've tried using some pliers with the jeweller's screwdriver but it's just not happening ? I'm wondering if there's a better Philips head screwdriver that will give me more torque than a wee jeweller's screwdriver??

Also, while I'm at it... There's an optical fibre connection, which is apparently critical, that is disconnected. Does the fibre just poke back into the white connector without any anchorage? Seems a bit odd if that's the way it works.

Thanks for any help/info

Louise

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They don't look like Phillips heads to me...they are crossheads.  Make sure that you're using the correct screwdriver. Are they possibly Japanese JIS screws? These look like crossheads but are subtly different. A crosshead screwdriver will fit, but it will slip and mash the screw heads.

8 minutes ago, Zakalwe said:

They don't look like Phillips heads to me...they are crossheads.  Make sure that you're using the correct screwdriver. Are they possibly Japanese JIS screws? These look like crossheads but are subtly different. A crosshead screwdriver will fit, but it will slip and mash the screw heads.

I'm not an expert on the minutae of screwheads... Maybe not Philips but certainly crosshead. It's only these particular two that I can't shift - any recommendations?

Louise

ps I can't see any alternatives to jewellers screwdrivers? How can I increase the torque?

Although I don’t have a 550D they look exactly the same as the screws in the same location on my Canon 4000D. I have managed to start to undo them with a small jewellers screwdriver, so don’t see why they shouldn’t come lose for you. Push your palm down on the top of the screwdriver, and carefully turn it slowly anti-clockwise, making sure that you keep the head pushed in well.

3 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Yeah, have tried that but I'm a weak-wristed little old lady and they refuse to budge. It's looking like I'll have to try and get another set but with bigger handles so I can get a better grip.

Louise

These look OK off Amazon, and don’t cost the Earth. Can’t vouch for the quality of them though. 

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Draper-28119-Precision-Screwdriver-Pieces/dp/B00DW8L1LO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533749522&sr=8-1&keywords=Long+handled+jewellers+screwdrivers

21 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Thanks - I've ordered a larger set of short ones. I'll just have to wait now,,,

Louise

I used a PH000 screwdriver for disassembling my Canon cameras, however not all PH000 screwdrivers or bits are the same.

A larger handle screwdriver or bit with a large handle will help. But make sure the bit fills the cross fully otherwise you will likely strip it.

I also find that pushing down quite hard (relatively speaking) and giving short sharp twists of the wrist help, anti-clockwise of course :)

Good luck!

12 minutes ago, StuartJPP said:

I used a PH000 screwdriver for disassembling my Canon cameras, however not all PH000 screwdrivers or bits are the same.

A larger handle screwdriver or bit with a large handle will help. But make sure the bit fills the cross fully otherwise you will likely strip it.

I also find that pushing down quite hard (relatively speaking) and giving short sharp twists of the wrist help, anti-clockwise of course :)

Good luck!

Yeah, thanks. As I said, I'm a weakling.... ?

Louise

Another application that works albeit on computer equipment is to apply the screwdriver on top of the offending screw and a slight knock ontop of the screwdriver with another screwdriver to break the locked thread then unscrew as normal, another is to slightly tighten the screw then unscrew, On a camera I do not know if this might be a good idea! but a thought and a last minute attempt. Again it also depends on the quality of the equipment used if a jewellers screwdriver then a small handle so less grip for you to turn the offending screws.

Andy

16 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

Louise

Another application that works albeit on computer equipment is to apply the screwdriver on top of the offending screw and a slight knock ontop of the screwdriver with another screwdriver to break the locked thread then unscrew as normal, another is to slightly tighten the screw then unscrew, On a camera I do not know if this might be a good idea! but a thought and a last minute attempt. Again it also depends on the quality of the equipment used if a jewellers screwdriver then a small handle so less grip for you to turn the offending screws.

Andy

Thanks but I'll wait for the new screwdrivers. It's only plastic to metal and probably generally quite fragile/delicate so don't want to bash anything (except as an absolute last resort).

Cheers

8 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Thanks but I'll wait for the new screwdrivers. It's only plastic to metal and probably generally quite fragile/delicate so don't want to bash anything (except as an absolute last resort).

Cheers

delicate things those cameras are not quite the same as a computer, hope you get sorted out with new screwdrivers and get them damn things out.....

back in the day when I was working for the computer giants all our equipment was supplied by them so tried and tested..... And even had their logo on them,  Nowadays at work all our gear is Facom (french) same guarantee as snapon gear but a bit cheaper.. laugh... 

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Possibly too late, but I have a set of these, which I used to mod both my 450D and 10D and they are brilliant high quality even though the handle feels a bit plasticky:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Precision-Reversible-8-Piece-Screwdriver-Set/p/167315

I might even buy a second set because they are so good!

Yeah too late really! I think I only need the 000 size crosshead but thought I might as well get the 12 piece draper set. If they are grippier than the ones I currently have they should be useful for various things. Only £7.51 and post free :) Hope they aren't rubbish...

Louise

22 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

I'm not an expert on the minutae of screwheads... Maybe not Philips but certainly crosshead. It's only these particular two that I can't shift - any recommendations?

Louise

ps I can't see any alternatives to jewellers screwdrivers? How can I increase the torque?

You need a Japanese screwdriver bit. If you use philips you will damage the screws, but I am guessing you already have?

3 minutes ago, Adam J said:

You need a Japanese screwdriver bit. If you use philips you will damage the screws, but I am guessing you already have?

I don't think they are supposed to be difficult to undo... It's only two out of about 14 that are problematic. They are so tiny - I can't actually see a lot of difference between the different screwdriver heads at that size. I've not done any damage yet and I'm sure the ones I've ordered will give me the extra grip I need. They'll be fine. Touch wood ;) Of course, when I get the new set I'll post the outcome :) 

Louise

1 minute ago, Thalestris24 said:

I don't think they are supposed to be difficult to undo... It's only two out of about 14 that are problematic. They are so tiny - I can't actually see a lot of difference between the different screwdriver heads at that size. I've not done any damage yet and I'm sure the ones I've ordered will give me the extra grip I need. They'll be fine. Touch wood ;) Of course, when I get the new set I'll post the outcome :) 

Louise

I have modified 5 cameras, I did the first couple with philips then got the Japanese set and it was so much easier.  

9 minutes ago, Adam J said:

I have modified 5 cameras, I did the first couple with philips then got the Japanese set and it was so much easier.  

I'm only changing the main board in just this one. I doubt I'll be undoing any others. I've not had any problems except these two particular screws... Maybe even a small enough flat-headed screwdriver will do the job, but I'll try the crosshead one first.

i would wait until you get the drivers you ordered , they are the same as mine I think and work just fine .

A flat blade in there will only cause problems .

If you do knacker the head up , there is an answer but you wont like doing it ;)

38 minutes ago, PaulR1 said:

i would wait until you get the drivers you ordered , they are the same as mine I think and work just fine .

A flat blade in there will only cause problems .

If you do knacker the head up , there is an answer but you wont like doing it ;)

Yeah I'll get them in a day or two - I wasn't intending to use the flat bladed screwdrivers I have

Archived