Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars 2018 vs Mars 2016

orion25

Here is a comparison of Mars from 2018 with that of 2016. The 2016 image was captured using the Orion Electronic Imaging Camera and the 2018 image was captured using the Orion StarShoot 5MP Solar System Camera. The images are not to scale as the cameras capture at slightly different magnifications. The same telescope was used for both: the Orion SkyView Pro 180mm Mak with 2x barlow:

1272830129_ASTRONOMY-MARS20162018ASM.thumb.jpg.1f6dd55e2565c517e4044e63d898a4bb.jpg

Quelle différence!

Nice work Reggie. The 2018 image whilst the lacking surface detail available to see because of the dust storm raging at the moment there, is clearly better, and you can see that the camera shows promise when that damn dust settles down eventually on Mars. 

35 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Nice work Reggie. The 2018 image whilst the lacking surface detail available to see because of the dust storm raging at the moment there, is clearly better, and you can see that the camera shows promise when that damn dust settles down eventually on Mars. 

Thanks, Gus. The 2016 image was done with a definitely inferior camera, yet it shows the incredible detail that was readily visible at opposition back then, and is hopefully in our near future! :)  

That's an interesting comparison, you had a good day in 2016 to get that kind of details and I can see the improvement with the 2018 work. You certainly must be impatient to test that new Orion StarShoot 5MP on a decent planet without a dust storm. (;

Nonetheless, an important log for the history.. we had a dust storm in 2018.. ?

Thank you sharing this work @orion25

That patch of ice is still impressive... we could have nothing at all but we have the ice at least ?

15 hours ago, N3ptune said:

That's an interesting comparison, you had a good day in 2016 to get that kind of details and I can see the improvement with the 2018 work. You certainly must be impatient to test that new Orion StarShoot 5MP on a decent planet without a dust storm. (;

Nonetheless, an important log for the history.. we had a dust storm in 2018.. ?

Thank you sharing this work @orion25

That patch of ice is still impressive... we could have nothing at all but we have the ice at least ?

2016 was a great year for seeing Martian detail. If only I had a better camera back then! :o  But you are correct, it's so hard waiting for the dust storm to clear so I can get some good detail with my new and improved cameras!

Archived