SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

3D printing applications for astronomical use (DIY)

Bamo

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have moved onto bigger toys but still dabble in the Tamiya stuff for a bit of light relief.

Current  long term project is an Armortek 1:6 scale Tiger 1 tank. Insane level of detail. Wiring the electronics is going to be ahhh...........interesting. ?

1581C6AB-5E41-4AFB-8503-4EC2181681E8.png

61713484-262B-441D-B421-0A6D4F999E59.png

2EDF0406-DB68-4829-9371-E54A93F5C29E.png

33 minutes ago, Chriske said:

Please forgive my ignorance, but could you please explain a bit more about his object, What's its purpose..?

It's not that obvious from the screenshot and description, but I'm taking my original Nikon specific dew shield and replacing the lens attachment, which was only made to fit one specific lens, and replacing that mounting with an idea taken from the bladed iris used in camera lenses. This will be spring loaded so that it will fit and grip a range of lens sizes.

Hopefully that will make it clearer. I should have it finished early next, so you'll definitely see how it works then.

3D printing is fantastic for astrophotography, considering the niche appeal of AP there isn't really that many products out there to satisfy every wish

Couple of ideas that i have printed in the past:

• Bahtinov Mask + Telescope tube cover combo (Newtonian)
  • Telescope finder (just wanted something equivalent to gun iron sights)
  • Telescope stand (for taking Flats, with the camera on the focuser the telescope won't stand up.)
  • Collimation Cap
  • Small piece for OAG to get Lodestar closer to the focal plane (best thing of the lot, cured a big headache)

Ideas i have yet to print:

• Lightbox
  • various brackets (cable management etc.)

On 08/08/2018 at 23:29, johninderby said:

I have moved onto bigger toys but still dabble in the Tamiya stuff for a bit of light relief.

Current  long term project is an Armortek 1:6 scale Tiger 1 tank. Insane level of detail. Wiring the electronics is going to be ahhh...........interesting. ?

Thanks for taking the time John!. Fantastic piece of art

I’ve made plenty of small bits and pieces, Filter holders, binocular wing eyecups, binocular lens vale, custom 2x binoculars, bahtinov mask, synta base sun finder, syntabase lodestar holder.... print in PLA on an  Ultimaker. PLA is pretty stuff, you can get carbon fibre loaded stuff if you need and other plastics might be more environmentally robust... though scopes are generally not left out in all weathers!

Can’t guess the print time of filamant cost for the Printsonian, shows what’s possible  though!

PEterW

Archived