Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meridian Drift Scan

My recent foray into meridian drift scanning has produced traces which are inverted compared with what I would intuitively expected ie a dip in magnitude of the received (noisy) signal rather than a peak. This drop is recorded at exactly the expected time of the radio source transit and the transit time is precisely what is predicted (Radio-Eyes). This is repeatable for varying starting times and has been recorded for both Cass A and Cyg A.  I am using a dish antenna at 3.4GHz. Would be grateful for any insight into this from more experienced practitioners.

Robin, Thanks for that. The receiver does have AGC  but the signal strength is relatively low so this shouldn't be a issue. Have seen 18dB increase in signal strength with no problem pointing at the sun. Having said that, I think that the SDR receiver is causing problems (eg image signals) and that I need to upgrade to a spectrum analyser (and a larger diameter dish). I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks,

Steve

Archived