Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quick Check - Before I purchase!

Afternoon all!

After several posts and discussions here and elsewhere I have finally settled on a setup to move away from DSLR imaging in to dedicated CMOS imaging. This in turn brings some requirements (power and connectivity) i'm not used to. Can you give the list below a once-over and see if there's anything (absolutely anything) I have forgotten to add to my basket? This will all be mounted on a Skywatcher Star Adventurer, William Optics ZS61 (with Flat61) and an LP filter. All-in it should be well below the 5kg payload capacity of the mount.

ZWO Mini Finder-Guider (have finder shoe attached to scope)
ZWO ASI 120MM Mini (PA, then guiding, attached to Mini Finder-Guider)
ZWO ASI294MC Pro
ZWO 240V Power Supply Adapter for Cooled Cameras

I have access to power where I will be imaging, so I think that takes care of that (extension lead out of window to patio where I image - that'll work, right?). In terms of connecting everything together, I plan on connecting the 120MM Mini to the USB hub on the 294MC for power and connectivity, and then connecting the 294MC via a 5m long USB3 to my Surface Pro 3. The mount is also powered via USB, and will also connect to the USB hub.

Are there any adapters or anything that I am missing? I honestly haven't checked spacing yet to see if I need any more extension rings or anything, but have a selection already, so shouldn't be too far off.

Not wanting to upset the apple cart but that’s a lot of weight for a SW SA. I find 2.5kg is pushing it but I haven’t tried imaging with more than that. Have you good evidence that it will cope with 5kg?

9 hours ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Not wanting to upset the apple cart but that’s a lot of weight for a SW SA. I find 2.5kg is pushing it but I haven’t tried imaging with more than that. Have you good evidence that it will cope with 5kg?

I currently image with the scope and an A6000 plus T-adapter without issue. The A6000 plus adapter weigh more than the 294MC from what I can tell (480g vs 410g), so that's a small saving. 

I will be adding 560g with the finder plus guide cam, taking it to 1.1kg without scope. The ZS61 plus Flat61 weigh about 1.7kg, so a total of 2.8kg. I agree that 5kg would be overkill, but 2.8kg should be okay I think. Hopefully with the shorter exposures of the 294MC plus guiding it will cope. If not the guidescope could be removed after PA until I upgrade the mount next year. 

2 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Is 5m a bit long for a USB? Might need to be a repeater one just to be safe.

I'm not sure to be honest! I use a 5m USB2 cable just now between my A6000 and surface to control the camera using Sony's remote controller and transfer the images and it seems fine. The Pro version of the camera does have internal buffer which would help with image transfer I think. 

Anyone else have experience of this? I could buy a repeater one as a precaution. 

17 hours ago, jjosefsen said:

I wonder if you can actually power the mount through the hub on the camera..

Good question! I have no idea to be honest, but the mount doesn't draw enough power from an Anker power pack to keep the power pack switched on; you have to plug in a second device so the power pack doesn't switch off.

Worst comes to the worst I can run the mount off the rechargeable batteries I currently have. They last 70hrs or so apparently. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update - everything has been ordered ?

Finderscope and 120MM-Mini are here and attached to the scope already. Camera ordered today. Plan is to align the finderscope with the scope tonight and get PA and guiding set up and working while still using my A6000.

Camera usage will be dependent on clear skies. If i'm very lucky with delivery that might be Friday, if not I might ninja between clouds early next week.

Also forgot to say that the ZWO Mini Guidescope does not weigh 500g as advertised pretty much everywhere. The Finder weighs 240g, so Finder + Guidecam + extension weigh in at 320g. Having weighed my current setup (A6000, in place of ASI294 that arrives today) I am at 2.58kg. I should be bang on 2.5kg with the 294 in place.

Archived