Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Early Perseids meteors.

MilwaukeeLion

Great captures. I was going to try something like this when the shower gets into full flow. May I ask how you went about capturing these? I want to try using my asi120mm mounted on a camera tripod with a fish eye lense but not sure whether I leave it capturing an avi throughout the night.

56 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Great captures. I was going to try something like this when the shower gets into full flow. May I ask how you went about capturing these? I want to try using my asi120mm mounted on a camera tripod with a fish eye lense but not sure whether I leave it capturing an avi throughout the night.

That's my preferred all sky camera, asi120mm with all sky lens that came with it.  I like to capture tiffs, then combine into gifs.  My settings are below, a 4 sec exposure is perfect for meteors, you may have to play with the gain depending on your skys.  Also take a dark frame set and apply it.  4 sec makes it easy to disguise between a meteor, a satellite, a firefly and a plane.  A meteor will be in 1 or 2 frames max, a satellite takes 20-30 frames to cross sky and are much shorter / slower.  A firefly is much brighter, fatter, can't fly straight so has a curve.  A plane,  well we've all seen our share, nuff said..  Examples of "not meteors" below.  I hope this helps.

ML

meteor=settings - Copy.jpg

satellites - Copy.gif

planes - Copy.gif

bugs - Copy.jpg

Archived