Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn with polar storm - 5 Aug 2018

geoflewis

Hi all,

I got out with the scope last night for some imaging again, the first time in approximately one month. Holidays, other priorities, dust storm on Mars and it being just too darned hot being my excuses....

Seeing for Saturn was good and to my surprise and delight my first run with the Red filter showed the polar storm. I completed my usual set of 3 minute runs for each of RRR-GGG-BBB, with each channel being derotated in WinJupos before building the RGB image in PS. I then applied a derotated stack of the 6 R+G files as a luminance.

Saturn_2018Aug05_21087_gdbl_rgb.jpg.25489726429aa7052753f77cb6e2911f.jpg

I've included the coordinates of the storm which can be seen as not more than a smudge at the top of Saturn's globe, just to the left of Saturn's central meridian.

With good seeing on Saturn I was hopeful to get something reasonable on Mars, so hung around for that, but at only 10(+/-) degrees altitude the seeing was very poor and I lost it behind trees as it approached it's transit at approx 12 degrees altitude, so that ended the session....

Cheers, Geof

• geoflewis changed the title to Saturn with polar storm - 5 Aug 2018
2 minutes ago, astroman001 said:

Great image, I can definitely see the storm. I think I will try some RGB imaging and see if that helps beat the seeing rather than colour L.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

Yes, it showed best in R, but was also there in G, but not B. I also got no hint of the storm with my IR 742.

Good luck,

Geof

Thanks Simon,

It's good to hear that you also got it, as it's a tricky challenge at it's low altitude from the UK. I also have found that it is pretty elusive with the IR filter, for me it was much clearer with the red.

Cheers, Geof

12 hours ago, Stargazer33 said:

That's a very nice image Geof!

The bands show up very well. Capturing the storm is a real plus.

Thanks Bryan, it's one of my better Saturn's this year which is surprising for quite late in the season. Cheers, Geof

Archived