Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars Post-Opposition 2018

orion25

Here is one of my first official ZWO images and as you can see, the dust storm is relenting and more detail is visible, especially through imaging. I was quite pleased with the ZWO's performance; I added an IR cut filter since it did not have one built-in. The filter made a difference as I was able to get more clarity than with previous attempts:

2139818275_ASTRONOMY-MARS(ZWO)8-05-18BCAPTION.thumb.jpg.413d9b55773d5ec5024d4df7b530f64d.jpg

Cheers!

Reggie :D

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Nice work Reggie. Well done. I tried Mars the other evening, but didn’t really get anything other than a red ball pretty much, although if I stretched my imagination I could see a very faint v shape on the disk. 

Thanks, Gus. Visually, Mars still has much to be desired, but on the imaging front things are looking up. Did you get one of those Mars filters yet? They really do seem to help at the eyepiece, highlighting the polar regions and maria. I got a good combination with the Celestron Mars Filter and the GSO #11 yellow/green.

BTW: doesn’t seem to be stocked by anyone in the UK, and coming from Amazon in the US I believe, so some import duties added on to the item of £7 ($9). I saw the same filter on B&H website that wanted to add a whopping $36 in import duties on to the price of the filter, which was nearly the price of the actual filter itself!

10 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Nice work Reggie. Well done. I tried Mars the other evening, but didn’t really get anything other than a red ball pretty much, although if I stretched my imagination I could see a very faint v shape on the disk. 

.https://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction/baader-neodymium-filter.html This is what I use.

3 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Thanks Reggie. I’ve not heard of the specific Mars filter before. Just ordered one off Amazon. Cheers! :) 

I think you'll like it. Please, let me know of your adventures with it! ;)

8 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Mars filter arrived today safely. Now just need to check it out at the next chance on Mars. Tonight’s forcast is not looking good, but Friday night is looking more promising. I’ll let you know how I get on. :) 

Please, do! :) 

Archived