Narrowband

Meteor scatter: Initial results with RTL-SDR

Let's hope they do not turn off GRAVES for maintenance during the Perseids. My guess is that they see so much "interference" to their normal work they take the system down for maintenance. The last time this happened I know of was during the Quadrantids back in December last year. The weather was awful and I think they switched off and went home.  It also went down for a sort while during the Auquariids around 09:00 our time.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

How do you folks get those '3D'plots in SpectrumLAB?

In SL, go to Options > Spectrum Display Settings > .....Part 4 (Or the Button 4 tab if you already have the config window open).  Then Tick the 3D check box and apply.

I find I can see more detail in 2D, but I'm not sure if my gain settings are fully optomised yet - the audio recordings are clipped from HDSDR when I see a strike. 

/Edit: I was going to say it's been quiet tonight, but this arrived just as I hit reply:

Burst.thumb.png.f8a2d20d809543eeb2c8f30ee0597530.png

2 minutes ago, BiggarDigger said:

In SL, go to Options > Spectrum Display Settings > .....Part 4 (Or the Button 4 tab if you already have the config window open).  Then Tick the 3D check box and apply.

I find I can see more detail in 2D, but I'm not sure if my gain settings are fully optomised yet - the audio recordings are clipped from HDSDR when I see a strike. 

Thanks,. I seem to have found a different route, but my display looks different but definitely 3D!

A quick update this evening: I've configured logging date, time, signal strength and duration of the meteor strikes detected to a text file using this source: 

http://cmhas.wikispaces.com/slmeteor 

which provides an (almost) ready to use script and describes each line in detail for customisation.  It also allows for .wav files to be recorded, plus screen grabs to be taken of the waterfall plot.  This is what I had set out to achieve, so I'm pretty happy just now!

I found that I needed switch the input to the audio recorder to before the filter so that I can still turn the output sound on and off without breaking the recordings.  I also needed to go back to 2D waterfall to get the overlay on the plot to be functional, which in turn required adjustments to the levels.  I'm not sure which one I prefer yet, but it appears to be working nicely.

It's not the completely polished article just yet, but I'm keen to see how it performs this coming weekend!

Richard

Meteor20180809211021.thumb.jpg.6bee6527ef14a3d31400d69f7c46b0bd.jpg

Meteor20180809211021.wav

• 1 month later...

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm just starting out getting into this subject, totally new for me. I will have my yagi mounted this weekend (a 2m for Graves and a 6m for BRAMS). Unlike you people however, I'll be using my dongles with home made code using GNU Radio. My intention is to build a simple standalone recording system using either a ROCK64 or Raspberry Pi 3 B+ but that's some way off yet, I have a lot to learn. Forum threads like these are very useful indeed!

Archived