Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Warm Weather To Stay Till October?

Kaliska

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is my ambition each year to continue to wear shorts from whenever it gets warm enough until the end of October (no, I am not a postman), though I do switch back to trousers if I start to feel the cold.  This year I'm wondering if I might make it to Christmas.

James

19 minutes ago, DAVE AMENDALL said:

Humidity can be a shade uncomfortable though......Dave

Yesterday it was 40c which is rare, but it is dry heat. Going outside from the air conditioned house felt like walking into an oven.

I've just moved to Derbyshire. As soon as I left my rubbish town, which hot weather turned into hell on earth, suddenly temperature is back to normal and it's even drizzling. Speak of irony. It's like I had to experience every single day of the heatwave before taking off. Up here in Glossop, it's been raining off and on for three days now. I'm yet to witness a clear night to test light pollution levels and what have you. 

Had heavy rain showers here today and some sunny spells.  Showers stopped by teatime and the sun came out but then the clouds arrived and now it's totally overcast.

Glossop, Derbyshire, is cloudy-ish, cool, and occasionally wet for the foreseeable future. I'm kind of happy about that after the 3 months of rainless, hot weather. Sorry, fellow astronomers, I know liking the rain may be deemed a high treason in our hobby :D  Weather forecasts can be deceiving sometimes, I care not to count how many times the Metoffice said 'rainy, cloudy' and it was a perfectly clear sky. With hundreds of thousands of variables in our weather patterns, it's almost impossible to be accurate. You could have a correct general outlook, but never the details.  

Just now, Gina said:

The country certainly needs the rain.  I can't grumble, I asked for it for my garden.  But wow!  Just look at those weeds grow!!

It's amazing to watch how fast the grass come back to life after some rain. Very impressive!! 

How is Glossop, Emad?  I was in Derbyshire for 18 months many years ago and loved it.  Been to and through Glossop many times - looked a nice place.

18 minutes ago, Gina said:

How is Glossop, Emad?  I was in Derbyshire for 18 months many years ago and loved it.  Been to and through Glossop many times - looked a nice place.

Seems fine so far. Neighbours are quiet and considerate. Some came to introduce themselves. Makes me wonder if I actually lived in a human zoo in my previous town. Sky-wise, except for the Eastern sky towards Manchester, which has a touch of orange near the horizon, all the other directions are fairly dark. I managed to see a touch of the milky way a couple of days ago. That's promising. 

Archived