Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Veil and North American nebula with Helios apollo 15X70... WOW!

Victor Boesen

The last week I was at my summer house which is located under a pretty dark sky where the milky way is easily visible under a new moon. This time the moon was just rising but it wasn't close to being full and the milky way was just visible at zenith.

I didn't want to bring out my dob, so I took out my binoculars instead with my OIII and UCH filter in place with the mindset of trying to observe the veil nebula and the dumbbell nebula.

M27:
M27 was very bright and both the core and outer dust was easily visible. I could't see any details other than the difference between the "apple core" and the outer shell because of the low magnification.

Veil nebula:
I tried locating the veil with skysafari open on my phone (in night mode of course) and indeed I could just spot the eastern part of the complex. I found a garden chair and made myself as comfortable as I could with the binoculars mounted on my Manfrotto tripod and ball head which works perfect for me. As I looked more and more at the target was easily visible and all of the eastern veil was easily visible while I could just spot the western veil using averted vision. I tried viewing the veil without a filter and I could just see the eastern veil but it was very difficult to see.

After my succes with the veil nebula I wanted to try if I could see the north american nebula and the Sadr area.

North American nebula:
In the beginning I wasn't aware of the size of the nebula so I tried spotting it right next to Deneb with no luck, but when I used the field of view of my binoculars in skysafari I could just see how big the target was and as soon as I lowered my binoculars a little I could really tell just why it is Called the north american nebula. It was almost identical to north america on a map:-) I think I could also see hints of the pelican nebula right besides the north american nebula.

Sadr area:
I think I was pretty positive on this one, but I ended up spotting what looked like slight hints of nebulosity to the left of Sadr and I checked skysafari and the nebulosity I saw matched with the shape of the nebulosity located right next to Sadr (I don't actually know the name of this object but if anyone could tell I would be happy;-)

I was really happy with the session and I didn't get attacked by mosquitoes as I usually do so everything was perfect!

Thank you for reading! Clear skies

Victor

Good report there Victor. Sounds like you had some good success there. I was looking in the same areas a couple of nights back - I thought the Veil would need 15x70s as I had no luck with the 10x50s.  

Agree with you on the North American Nebula, its size and its position too - such rich star fields around it.  ?

Just now, mark81 said:

Good report there Victor. Sounds like you had some good success there. I was looking in the same areas a couple of nights back - I thought the Veil would need 15x70s as I had no luck with the 10x50s.  

Agree with you on the North American Nebula, its size and its position too - such rich star fields around it.  ?

Thank you very much! The veil was truly amazing and the filters did a great job at boosting the contrast of it.

Hey Victor, sounds like a nice time with large bins!  Here’s a snap from Interstellarum of the area around Sadr but the nebulosity doesn’t appear to have a designation.  I always find this area exciting and enjoy the boxlike structure of M29.  Happy hunting!

1B021A47-1C80-4DEE-B4B1-BDC321C5A713.thumb.jpeg.ab71403a677505cf62257b40e5704696.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Special K said:

Hey Victor, sounds like a nice time with large bins!  Here’s a snap from Interstellarum of the area around Sadr but the nebulosity doesn’t appear to have a designation.  I always find this area exciting and enjoy the boxlike structure of M29.  Happy hunting!

1B021A47-1C80-4DEE-B4B1-BDC321C5A713.thumb.jpeg.ab71403a677505cf62257b40e5704696.jpeg

thank you very much Kevin!

Archived