Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents_winners.thumb.jpg.0650e36a94861077374d1ab41812d185.jpg

Shelster1973

Orion 8" Newt - Customised

Due to an impending house move and being away for a long time with work in teh near future, have made the hard decision to sell on my Orion Newt.

is the f3.9 8" steel tube one from the american Orion, not the UK based one.  Since owning it have carried out the following customisations / modifications

• Fully flocked inside of tube and darkened edges of primary and secondary
  • Replaced mirror clips with silicone to hold primary
  • Swapped spider for carbon fibre spider which has 2 very thin arms per vane and 4 x secondary adjuster screws
  • Replaced stock focuser with Baader Diamond Steeltrack.  This is a fantastic focuser, very smooth and no slippage
  • Added Arduino Automatic Focuser so focus can be controlled remotely
  • Respotted primary with catseye hotspot.

Will be selling the OTA with the additional parts fitted, along with all of the items that I have for collimation, which is a Baader laser collimator, Catseye Infinity, cheshire tube and associated adaptors.  Will also include the MPCC as will not be requried for my next scope.

Due to size am unable to post, but willing to deliver if within a reasonable distance, probably as far as Exeter, so 40 miles.  Will also meet as far up as Exeter too if that suits.

Will put some pictures up later if anyone wants to see them, but the tube in question can be seen here

Am looking for £325 or nearest to it.

Thanks for looking

Edited by Shelster1973
Added parts and price change

Pictures of said scope

IMG_0063.thumb.JPG.150643e3512e02f98b97e9b6787fa4bb.JPG

Inside showing new spider and flocking

IMG_0064.thumb.JPG.04cd9cf72508cde399daf92cb5e70838.JPG

Baffles and primary (with view of reflected secondary...which is good with Newts)

IMG_0065.thumb.JPG.d3c6b9603a84b2a92ca293fe726bcea0.JPG

Closer view of secondary showing flocked back.  This also extends down the sides, but cannot be seen

IMG_0066.thumb.JPG.a7f4464397528cae54395a78c11bc566.JPG

Baader Focuser

IMG_0067.thumb.JPG.f73f91ceb26448c606f5ce462ee3892f.JPG

The Arduino Auto Focuser, stepper motor and belt.  The whole things takes a separate 12 v feed.  I run a 4 way splitter on my CCD feed with 1 to the camera, 1 to the camera fan and then 1 to the focuser

IMG_0068.thumb.JPG.c33d2d3daa41f8719d0e204e6c467fb4.JPG

Product label on the side

IMG_0070.thumb.JPG.37ccea6555a336decc76a101c6227456.JPG

Rear end view showing the back of primary and the silicone showing.  Is original fan unit fitted

IMG_0069.thumb.JPG.1d5552cf996663e9bc8996767934320b.JPG

Closer view of the silicone.  Never changed the rear collimation knobs as the ones fitted do a good enough job.

• Like 1

Have moved now and scope is still up for sale.

Is currently sat in storage waiting for it's next lucky owner to come along and give it a new home

That is a real bargain. The focusser alone is a big chunk of the asking price.
I don't understand why it has not sold.

Sorry but I already have enough scopes and am a long way from you.

Good luck with the sale.

David.

Just wanted to say it looks fantastic, love the remote focuser. Don't think price is the issue. If you're moving further up north try relisting when you're nearer civilisation ;) 

• Like 2

I'm interested in what the diffraction spikes look like with those vanes, have you got an image of them on a star/s?

Will dig one out tomorrow and put it up for you. Will not be finished image, just example of the spikes. 

They are quite funky. You effectively get 8 spikes, but they are very narrow. I preferred it to the standard spikes

2E4A9C70-D9A3-48C8-AA0C-55CF1EB95189.png.c20847f7f1c32cc934c678351acf85fc.png

there you go  you can see the spikes on here  Is not greatest example as was not properly Colima tee and focus was off, but you can get the idea

Have not gone as far as doing the temperature side of it, is a software controlled stepper.  No issues with it either.  Have made a small mod to it by adding a 12v dc input.  I then used a 4 way splitter so could power the focuser, ccd and its external fan all from the same power supply and had no issues with that.

The software is freely available if you want to control the focuser on its own, or it can be controlled by your imaging software through ASCOM.  I achieved this with SGP

Edited by Shelster1973

13 hours ago, Shelster1973 said:

Will dig one out tomorrow and put it up for you. Will not be finished image, just example of the spikes. 

They are quite funky. You effectively get 8 spikes, but they are very narrow. I preferred it to the standard spikes

Thanks for the image, unfortunately I like the single long diffraction spikes rather than the double, so I will bow out, bet of luck with the sale.

47 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Thanks for the image, unfortunately I like the single long diffraction spikes rather than the double, so I will bow out, bet of luck with the sale.

No probs.  You can grab a single 4 vane spider cheap as chips if you prefer them.  Very easy to swap out

Linkie

Well... not hugely cheap, but in this hobby not too bad.  That was from quick search. You may be able to find them cheaper with a more in depth loo around 

Edited by Shelster1973
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Still for sale if anyone wants it. 

The auto focuser has been removed however, so is just manual focus on the Baader now. 

I will be heading up to Liverpool area at the end of the month if anyone up that way is interested too

Edited by Shelster1973

Hi, do you have a coma corrector to go with it?  If not, do you know what coma corrector will work best with it, for example the Skywatcher Apalantic?  Will it fit in the focus tube before intruding?

Thanks

Hi

I have the Baader MPCC Mk 2 with this.  When attached to camera (with separate adapter) I use this as a 2" nose piece into the focuser drawer tube.  Have had no issue with it fouling the light path