SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Synscan wifi module help.

Hello guys, I am having trouble connecting to my synscan wifi module/mount. I was out last night having a play and decided to use the wifi module for the first time. I connected my Samsung galaxy s8+ to the module via wifi and opened the synscan pro app. Clicked connect and my eq6 pro showed up. I clicked that and an option of az or eq came up. I clicked eq and after a second or 2 a message popped up saying "cannot connect".

I tried this multiple times before I gave up and stuck with the handset.

Anybody had this issue? Can you help?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have had the wifi module for 8 months. Most of the time I have been very pleased with it. Synscan is more accurate using it and it is good not to be tied to the rig.

I have had to put red screening over the display on  my pad and over the green LED on the wifi unit as both disturb my night vision.

Firstly - my pad had a habit of changing back to my house wifi, so ensure that it has remained on the synscan wifi unit.

Secondly - my pad had a habit, originally very occasionally, of reporting 'sysnscan has stopped'. Sometimes I overcame this just by starting again but later had to go from the sysnscan app to settings, wifi and turn connection off and on again (upping the retry number also helped).

Over time this got worse (although I could control OK with my mobile phone - I have other problems with this - but connection and use is perfect).

Recently I bought a new cheap pad from Amazon. It had the same problems as the first pad. When I looked the Android version was 4.4.2. I have sent this pad back and am at present thinking of buying a better pad with a different Android version number.

Good Luck

This sounds like something I've encountered sometimes when using the wifi adapter attached to my SW Virtuoso mount.  The issue was to do with a dialogue box / warning on my android phone.  The phone needed me to acknowledge that the wifi network I was trying to connect to did not have internet access and that I wanted to connect anyway.  If I missed the chance to say "Yes" it was a hassle to track down the setting and I think I just disconnected and reconnected and made sure I was paying attention to the phone when trying to connect.

Hope thats some use.

As it was clear and despite the almost full moon I decided to power up the rig and play with my new tablet.

To my horror it 'dumped me out' to borrow an expression from another thread on this subject. ie the synscan app closed down as soon as I connected leaving me on the main screen (apps).

Having some experience with my previous tablet I re-opened synscan, went to the settings screen, then pressed connect. It connected OK, stayed connected and worked perfectly when I went back to the control screen.

Spent an hour looking at various targets then 'hibernated'.

Something that Skywatcher has done to the software means that if you load the current version these problems are worse than they were. If your pad is working well I think you would be well advised not to reload Synscan at the moment.

Archived