SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

autofocus question

I have a Lakeside motor focus system for all three of my OTAs and run autofocus from SGP. It has been almost perfect, so long as focus is roughly right to start with, except for my current target, M2 with my Edge 8”. I haven’t used a Bahtinov mask since changing to the Lakeside system!

You want to have your focus close before you switch over to autofocus. The autofocus routines generally assume that is the starting point and then test the focus across a range of positions around that point to fine tune it. While focus position can vary somewhat with temperature, I find it works well enough to spend a night or two getting your initial focus (with a Bhatinov mask, or manually adjusting the focuser and using a frame-and-focus utility), autofocusing the luminance or clear filter, recording that position and then using that as your starting position for autofocusing going forward. It will be close enough that 1-3 runs of the autofocus utility will reliably dial you in on subsequent nights and with your other filters.

27 minutes ago, Joel Shepherd said:

You want to have your focus close before you switch over to autofocus. The autofocus routines generally assume that is the starting point and then test the focus across a range of positions around that point to fine tune it. While focus position can vary somewhat with temperature, I find it works well enough to spend a night or two getting your initial focus (with a Bhatinov mask, or manually adjusting the focuser and using a frame-and-focus utility), autofocusing the luminance or clear filter, recording that position and then using that as your starting position for autofocusing going forward. It will be close enough that 1-3 runs of the autofocus utility will reliably dial you in on subsequent nights and with your other filters.

Thanks for the tips Joel 

Archived