SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How to seal a door to stop rain getting in?

Astrokev

My obsy will have an externally opening door, with a standard sloping cill.

There are several commercially available solutions to stop rain getting in but I'm curious what obsy builders have found the simplest and most effective?  My main concern is at the bottom, underneath the door.

Thanks ? 

If you mean the door opens outwards, then make the frame deep enough that with the door in the closed position you can put "stops" around all four edges. They are just strips of wood that sit on the frame at the back edge of the door closing the gap between the door and the frame. Of course you can put the stops on the outside if the door opens inwards. You won't end up with a flat sill a the bottom of course, but it does make an effective barrier to rain. My sill doesn't slope enough and water will pond on top, but it doesn't make it inside.  See 3rd photo here:

https://www.blackwaterskies.co.uk/2017/09/building-a-small-imaging-observatory-door/

As you say lots of fancy designs out there but we just used a strip of 6mm galvanized weather bar set in a groove in the sill and a step cut in the bottom of the door, there was also a plastic strip available to cover the top edge,

Dave 

Something like this roughly :)

Door.thumb.png.79eb171e520797278c0d236de5a0caa8.png

20 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

As you say lots of fancy designs out there but we just used a strip of 6mm galvanized weather bar set in a groove in the sill and a step cut in the bottom of the door, there was also a plastic strip available to cover the top edge,

Dave 

Something like this roughly :)

Thanks Dave. Looks to be an effective solution ?

24 minutes ago, IanL said:

If you mean the door opens outwards, then make the frame deep enough that with the door in the closed position you can put "stops" around all four edges. They are just strips of wood that sit on the frame at the back edge of the door closing the gap between the door and the frame. Of course you can put the stops on the outside if the door opens inwards. You won't end up with a flat sill a the bottom of course, but it does make an effective barrier to rain. My sill doesn't slope enough and water will pond on top, but it doesn't make it inside.  See 3rd photo here:

https://www.blackwaterskies.co.uk/2017/09/building-a-small-imaging-observatory-door/

Thanks Ian. Looks simple and effective ?

Archived