Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thank you all

5haan_A

Hello,

2 months ago I had no idea what was what in the night sky. Today I still don't really know what's what up there but I really would love to know more. 

I bought a telescope about a month ago, a dob, and since managing to catch a glimpse of Saturn on one of my first nights out I was completely hooked. Now I can't wait to see more and more up there.

I never thought I would join a forum, let alone a stargazing one, but I have found the community here so good and the resources in the threads so useful in terms of learning that I felt compelled to be part of this great place. So thanks to you all for making this place great. I look forward to being able to contribute in whatever small way a complete novice like me can, and I look even more forward to pestering you for help.

A little bit about me, I'm a Yorkshireman, 27 years old, live near Leeds and work in a fintech company. I have loved looking up at the sky since I can remember but have only recently got in to the proper stuff. 

It would be great if you could share 3 things that you know now that you wish you known when you first started?

Thanks,

Shaan

Welcome to the forum Shaan, I'm sure you will have alot of fun here!

Three things I wish I had known about?

1) SGL. Had I known about it earlier I would have achieved alot more sooner in my observing 'career. To be fair, it didn't exist when I started about 19 years ago!

2) To have understood about the size and brightness of different objects would have helped me know which eyepieces to use to see which objects. I remember being very disappointed by the large galaxy M31 when viewed in my 8" Mak. Little did I realise that I was using something like a 0.5 degree field of view to try to see an object 3 degrees across!

3) A little more knowledge about scopes would have been very useful too. I knew nothing when i bought my first scope, a 6" reflector on an EQ3 mount. It was actually ok, but was what is called a Bird-Jones design which has a barlow element in the focuser to shorten the tube. It was hard to collimate and didn't take high magnification well, but still showed me my first deep sky targets.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Welcome to the forum Shaan, I'm sure you will have alot of fun here!

Three things I wish I had known about?

1) SGL. Had I known about it earlier I would have achieved alot more sooner in my observing 'career. To be fair, it didn't exist when I started about 19 years ago!

2) To have understood about the size and brightness of different objects would have helped me know which eyepieces to use to see which objects. I remember being very disappointed by the large galaxy M31 when viewed in my 8" Mak. Little did I realise that I was using something like a 0.5 degree field of view to try to see an object 3 degrees across!

3) A little more knowledge about scopes would have been very useful too. I knew nothing when i bought my first scope, a 6" reflector on an EQ3 mount. It was actually ok, but was what is called a Bird-Jones design which has a barlow element in the focuser to shorten the tube. It was hard to collimate and didn't take high magnification well, but still showed me my first deep sky targets.

I’d add also Stu a further wish I’d known too;

4) how much money this hobby drains out of my finances! ;) 

Hello Shaan, and welcome to SGL, this community is a godsend, without it most of us would still be

trying to work out how to use our kit, instead we are enjoying the night sky, without having to work out

where everything is, and how to upgrade your kit, without wasting your time and money, when I joined the

community I knew nothing, and all I had was a pair of binoculars, I have a lot of helpful, friendly people

to thank for getting me were I am now.

Enjoy the forums and the community.

Clear Sky's.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Hi and welcome from a little further east on the M62. :)

(Hint; you get ferries from  there to Holland! ;) ) 

Cheers Stu. It would be great to get a bit more info on number 2. Is there some kind of formula or a good article that explains that in a bit more detail? 

Haha, Im guessing Hull?

Cheers Stu. It would be great to get a bit more info on number 2. Is there some kind of formula or a good article that explains that in a bit more detail? 

Haha, Im guessing Hull?

I'll try to find some useful links for you, but some of the basic formulae which are useful are:

Magnification = focal length of telescope/focal length of eyepiece

True field of view = Apparent field of view of eyepiece/magnification

Apparent field of view is given with the eyepiece  e.g. a 30mm 82 degree or a 32mm 50 degree. The 30mm 82 degree would show more actual sky despite being slightly higher magnification.

Sizes of objects you can find from various star atlases or apps. Generally, after stars you will find that planets are small and need high magnification, things like planetary nebulae and globular clusters again are relatively small and take mid to high power. It is objects like open clusters, nebulae and a few galaxies that are big and need a much larger field of view to take them all in.

Hello, Shaan, and a warm welcome from a German stargazer (visual only); I enjoyed the read of your introduction here, very open, warm and authentic - reminds me of my own way to this forum  11/2 years ago!

Three (for me) important things:

1. The importance of a decent observing chair. Got my first one 6 years ago (after 40 years of observing!),and it makes a very noticable difference.

2. Don't wait for the perfect skies or the perfect place to observe (not even for the best suited instrument or accessory) - just go out and observe. Most important is to have some good time out under the stars; and there is always something to discover, no matter what optical aid you are using.

3. In some nights, now and then, a lot of things seem to go wrong - orientation, observing conditions, hassle with the equipment. Sometimes, e.g., I' m struggling with finding M 81/82 (which I've found dozens of times within a few seconds). Don't worry, and have patience. There will be many excellent nights and great moments, which will compensate for that.

Clear Skies, enjoy, and keep reporting!

Stephan

Archived