Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Messier 31
Andromeda Galaxy
Distance from Earth - approx 2.5 million light years

After spending ages getting a decent polar alignment, the clouds were on their way in so I only had a small window of opportunity remaining. This was my first real run with the new setup (minus the ST80 and ZWO ASI120 as i was having issues there) and I almost gave up. SO glad I didn't!! Focus was off a bit though I think and I've definitely over-processed

EXIF:

Nikon D5300
270mm
f / 5.6 @ ISO 800
21 x 30 second subs
Bortle 5

Stacked in Sequator. Very quick minor crop and global edits in LightRoom. No darks/flats/offsets

M31 04082018-1.jpg

• Like 5

Colors are a little hard, but there is definitely some great detail there.

How high was M31 in the sky?

• Thanks 1

Just now, MarsG76 said:

Colors are a little hard, but there is definitely some great detail there.

How high was M31 in the sky?

Reasonably high tbh. Certainly up over my rooftop (more or less). Only overprocessed this set to bring out what I could in fairness. As I add more data and restack etc, I'm hoping it'll soften out 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maxrayne said:

Reasonably high tbh. Certainly up over my rooftop (more or less). Only overprocessed this set to bring out what I could in fairness. As I add more data and restack etc, I'm hoping it'll soften out 

I'm looking forward to seeing it evolve as you add data.

• Thanks 1

I was shooting the same target last night. Was going to try to get something else, but couldn't find it. What mount are you using for your setup? I was trying 300 sec subs @ ISO 800 on a Nikon D7500. 

• Like 1

Just now, JimothyC said:

I was shooting the same target last night. Was going to try to get something else, but couldn't find it. What mount are you using for your setup? I was trying 300 sec subs @ ISO 800 on a Nikon D7500. 

30 second subs on an SW WA at 300mm using a Nikon D5300 at ISO 800. Was hoping to start using the ST80 but was having balance issues and then focus issues too. In the end I scrubbed the ST80 and went more direct as I could see the clouds coming in. Hopefully the focusing will be resolved today. Ex has ordered me an electronic focuser from the kids for my birthday :D 

Sorry do you mean a Star Adventurer? I've got a very similar setup. I'm using an Altair 70mm ED on one of those. Things definitely improved when I added autoguiding. I use a mini guide scope from QHY which works quite nicely. I managed to get some reasonable 10 minute subs, although 5 mins is probably more realistic. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JimothyC said:

Sorry do you mean a Star Adventurer? I've got a very similar setup. I'm using an Altair 70mm ED on one of those. Things definitely improved when I added autoguiding. I use a mini guide scope from QHY which works quite nicely. I managed to get some reasonable 10 minute subs, although 5 mins is probably more realistic. 

The star adventurer yes. Loving it in all honesty. Have a ZWO ASI120mm that I want to plug in for guiding, but need to get my head around it first. Which guidescope do you use?

I’m using the QHY mini guide scope from Modern Astronomy although I’m sure the zwo version will work just as well. If you’ve already got the asi120mm you’re halfway there already. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JimothyC said:

I’m using the QHY mini guide scope from Modern Astronomy although I’m sure the zwo version will work just as well. If you’ve already got the asi120mm you’re halfway there already. 

Just had a look at the ZWO 20mm guide scope. Next purchase I think ;)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/guide-scopes/zwo-mini-guide-scope.html