Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 70-200mm f4 vs Canon 200mm f2.8

I recommend to go for the zoom. 70-200mm will allow you the freedom to frame various constellations at various magnifications.

I use the 24-105mm lens and the various zooms come in handy frequently.

Another vote for the 70-200 which works fine wide open, the 200 needs stopping down a little for best results, something like f/4....

Alan

P.S. I agree that the zoom is far more useful as a walkabout daytime lens too.

The 70-200 is a great lens, good price/performance,  another favorite is the 'nifty fifty' cheap, plastic & sharp but that's not your question,  a second hand 70-200 f4 has served us well over the years, daytime nightime etc.

I would like to get a 70-200mm f4 ( can't afford the f2.8) but I'm not sure how it performs when fully opened. I heard that it's very close to the f2.8 stopped at f4 but I'm not convinced. Is anyone using the f4 fully opened and if so could you please post some photos.

Emil

• 2 months later...

Certainly for terrestrial, the f4 L 70-200 is better (i.e. sharper) at f8 than it is at f4. But it is still pretty crisp at f4.

The lens collar for this lens is handy for framing, as it has a 'partial release' knob which allows you to rotate the lens (and therefore camera) without undoing the whole thing. Very quick and easy.

I found that Canon's lens correction data option in their DPP program helps too.

Archived