SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

An optimistic go at Saturn and Mars...

Hallingskies

Although planetary imaging isn't really "my bag", I thought it might be worth trying to record a closer view of the baleful, dull red ember that is currently rising in my south-eastern sky at around 21.00.   This was taken using an old Phillips TouCam Pro (bet there aren't many of them left out there!) and a x2 barlow lens fitted to a Celestron C9.25.  The planet is too low down to be seen from my observatory so I set the scope up on my balcony, which offers unrestricted views to the east and south.  A one minute AVI file was taken at 25 fps and the output processed in Registax...

Mars.jpg

The southern polar ice-cap (I think) is just discernible as a lighter smudge at the bottom of the disc but other than that, surface details are just blurry blobs.  OK, no award-winner, but it was a pretty good representation of what could be seen bouncing around in a 15mm eyepiece on the back of the barlow. 

Similarly, here's my meagre attempt at Saturn...

saturn.jpg

It was a lot of fun trying this out, if nothing else.  Not sure I can blame the seeing for these mediocre results and I do wonder if the collimation was a bit off on the C9.25 - might give it a look over tonight.  These bigger SCTs really don't like being moved in my experience...

Good show! Sometimes, it's not about the quality of the image, but the whole setup experience. The nice thing about imaging is that you get a little better each time and learn a little bit more. There's nothing like getting your very own images of the cosmos!

Cheers!

Reggie :) 

11 minutes ago, orion25 said:

....There's nothing like getting your very own images of the cosmos!...

Couldn’t agree more -that’s why all we do what we do!  And it’s fun playing with the associated toys - especially on the odd occasion they all work.

Archived