Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars, Saturn and Jupiter

Phil Fargaze

I wasn't easy, but I managed to view the three prominent planets with a six inch dob balanced on the garden table. Jupiter was first, just above the roof tops before it sunk into the west, looking good as usual. Then the scope and table had to be relocated to see Saturn. It was placed in a gap between an inconvenient tree and a house but as always a pleasure to be awed by the the rings. Then for Mars, glowing an ominous red in the south east. I dragged all the stuff back to the house and set up on the decking outside the back door. A tiny gap between two shrubs offered up a chance to centre on the planet. The view was difficult but I`m sure I could just about see a hint of dark markings.  It was hard work but the best bit was sharing the views with my sixteen year old son. At least it got him off his iPad for an hour! Then as a bonus, the ISS cruised overhead. 

Good effort Phil balancing a Dob on the garden table....nerves of steel mate, nerves of steel. :grin:

I had pretty much the same result as you with Mars, in fact so far, I have seen nothing more than a turbulent ball of fire. The problem is that Mars is so low and over the roof tops behind my garden, by the time it clears the trees.

I must make the effort before too long , to take a scope over the fields.

To be honest it’s only an old scope on a home made mount but I’ll be a bit more stressed tonight when I try hoisting the 10” dob onto the table! I’ll take more time to see if there is any detail to be seen on Mars.

Although....wooden decking+plastic table+big dob+low Mars= Strawberry jelly through the eyepiece!

I`ve had the 10" dob on the table before to get a view of Mercury! However,  I do take extra care and don`t take chances. Also I never stand on a chair to raise myself, too dangerous.  I always use a step ladder or I have a caravan step, which can be very handy especially when showing young persons views through the scope.

Archived