SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another Mars.... what else?

MarsG76

8 minutes ago, Stargazer33 said:

Nice detail. Looks like the dust storm has stopped. Hope to get out tonight and image Saturn and Mars.

Dust Storm is still there but it has calmed down a lot... about half of the features are visible.

Attached is a image with the Syrtis Major Planum in the middle I imaged in 2016 for comparison. The difference is that Syrtis is off to the left on my current image and in the middle in the image from 2 years ago. 

Good of luck with your imaging tonight.

IMG_4516.JPG

21 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Great image. What telescope and camera did you use to capture it?

That was with a NexStar 8SE on a CGEM mount, and the cameras were Skyris 618C for RGB and IS DMK21au618 for IR.

Just got in from my imaging session. Saturn was lovely and clear. I could easily make out the Casini Division, even with a X3 tele extender. Mars on the other hand was as Dave says above. I could make out the southern polar cap and just the hint of some albedo. Hopefully I will be able to tease some detail out of the video when I get a chance to process it. Off to bed now as it's a school night and my wife will not be happy if I can't get up in the morning for work!

Lovely image.

As others i have just come in and Saturn was not bad  from here but mars was a wobbley jelly sat on top of a bouncy castle.

Its only a few degs difference but I think that  and the rooftops that is making the difference.

14 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Well done MG, just been looking at it and all I could make out was the South Polar cap.

Dave

12 hours ago, Stargazer33 said:

Just got in from my imaging session. Saturn was lovely and clear. I could easily make out the Casini Division, even with a X3 tele extender. Mars on the other hand was as Dave says above. I could make out the southern polar cap and just the hint of some albedo. Hopefully I will be able to tease some detail out of the video when I get a chance to process it. Off to bed now as it's a school night and my wife will not be happy if I can't get up in the morning for work!

10 hours ago, Ibbo! said:

Lovely image.

As others i have just come in and Saturn was not bad  from here but mars was a wobbley jelly sat on top of a bouncy castle.

Its only a few degs difference but I think that  and the rooftops that is making the difference.

I found that observing Mars is more difficult than observing Saturn. 

Basically I start my observation sessions with  Saturn, and if I don't see cloudbands and the Cassini division on Saturn, than I'm not expecting too much n Mars.

That said tho, I find that stacking contrast Booster, neodymium and yellow color planet filter helps on Mars in a massive way. Literally going from a large pale pink but featureless blob to something that I simulated on the attached image with a image of Mars I took on the same night, at nearly the same time.

The image only needs a little bit of fluctuations but during the most stable moments this is what and how I saw on mars through the 11mm nagler type 2 and 2X power mate through the 8" SCT.

BTW, I'm quite aware of the typo. And the actual size of the disc was I estimate about 0.8-1cm diameter.

IMG_4532.JPG

8 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I don’t like it......

I love it! 

What I dont like is the fact that it's raining right now... but I estimate that on 12th August, I should see and image Valles Marinares is the atmosphere is stable.

Archived