Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

mcro89

HEQ5 pro power supply

Hey everyone,

So I have just purchased a skywatcher HEQ5 pro mount and been a bit lost with what I need to safely power it from mains.

I have been reading different forum post and gotten a bit lost. 

People are saying you need to regulate it to make sure that too much power doesn't get drawn? Would this just be a normal surge protection plug adapter?

I will be using my scope at home for the moment so just want to hook it up to the mains. 

I was looking at buying one of these -https://www.amazon.co.uk/JOYLIT-100-240V-Switching-Adapter-Flexible-12V-5A/dp/B01LYBUO16/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1533215373&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=12v+5a+power+supply&dpPl=1&dpID=51BeVSM6HKL&ref=plSrch

Is this ok? 

Alot of forum recommendations point to Maplins products however since they arw nowclosed I'm not sure what other places to look for power supplies.

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

I'd pay a bit more & go for the 8 AMP one, but just make sure that the power supply has the correct connector for your mount.

That's great! All I really needed to know for now. I will eventually will need a portable power solution for when the nights are longer and I want to take my scope to more dark site. 

If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to post! 

You only need the RCD, if your household consumer unit Fuse\Trip box, doesn't already have one, most 'modern' ones do (last 30 years)

Ok cool yea I'll check that. I might be ok. Will also be plugging it into an extension lead with surge protector built into it. 

Out of curiosity why do you say to go for 12v 8amp power cable? 

Reading around most people say 12v 5amp is enough?

When it gets cold, you may want power for additional equipment e.g. dew heaters etc.

Of those 'brick' supplies I usually get 10-20 AMP ones, that can power everything, including Laptops et al....

Ah ok, well for now all I want it for is to power the mount so I can start playing with it.

I'm still a beginner and learning how to set everything  up for astrophotography so iam happy to take it slow. Just want to power the motors and the go-to for now. 

As I said I will eventually get a bigger power supply to power it all for when I start taking the setup to darker sites for proper imaging sessions once I have a better understanding of it all.

Thanks

I run mine off an old model railway supply unit. Is controlled and works a treat, few quid on ebay. Excellent for at home use..  Very economical version. ? 

• Like 1

On 02/08/2018 at 15:24, mcro89 said:

Hey everyone,

So I have just purchased a skywatcher HEQ5 pro mount and been a bit lost with what I need to safely power it from mains.

I have been reading different forum post and gotten a bit lost. 

People are saying you need to regulate it to make sure that too much power doesn't get drawn? Would this just be a normal surge protection plug adapter?

I will be using my scope at home for the moment so just want to hook it up to the mains. 

I was looking at buying one of these -https://www.amazon.co.uk/JOYLIT-100-240V-Switching-Adapter-Flexible-12V-5A/dp/B01LYBUO16/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1533215373&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=12v+5a+power+supply&dpPl=1&dpID=51BeVSM6HKL&ref=plSrch

Is this ok? 

Alot of forum recommendations point to Maplins products however since they arw nowclosed I'm not sure what other places to look for power supplies.

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi mcro89, Did you purchase this power supply and if do - does it work Ok?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By astrophoto_canada
      Hello Everyone, 
      This is my first post on this forum (although I've lurked in the shadows for a while). So I thought I'd share some of the modifications that I've had done to the new Mesu MkII I received last week in case someone can benefit. Sadly I haven't tried it imaging yet only balanced, slewed it around and read the Sitech documentation to make sure everything is functioning.  The day it arrived we plunged into sub-zero temps and snow 😫. 
      The mods include an extended wedge for some limited imaging past the meridian, and an angled counterweight bar for clearance in the tight space.  Some have commented in other posts on the long Mesu CW bar but its necessary to balance the weight of the head (unloaded) and to accommodate counterweights for the significant payload. Once tested I'll be loading this bad-boy with a number of different focal length scopes as changing equipment at 25C below is not fun. I lasted one winter doing this and the automated ESO (Exceedingly Small Observatory) was born.
      Has anybody with this mount installed homing switches? The Sitech1 controller has an aux port for this purpose. For me this would be for integration into the ROR control system to prevent an expensive mistake.  Eventually the goal will be to monitor for inclement weather and shut down the system safely or automate parking and calibration frames at the end of a normal session. This is a work in progress as I only completed the ROR roof upgrades this summer. 
      Thanks
      Gary.
      PS That flats panel needs moving. It was ok with the old mount but every inch counts now! 

• By AstroRuz
      For sale is my beloved but now superfluous to requirements HEQ5 Pro for £700
      It's in a used condition as you would imagine. I've had it for about 4 years and found great success with this mount. Ideal for those beginning astrophotography and also good for visual users.
      I'm calling it "deluxe" due to the upgrades I've had done.
      - It's belt modified
      - It's had brand new bearings and grease
      - The backlash has been expertly setup 
      - It has the latest polar scope
      - The power port has been replaced with an aviation style port which is a lot more secure
      It'll come with the hand controller and at least 1 counterweight (if I can find the second it'll come with both). The polar scope cover has been lost. The counterweight is rusty as always. There is some marring on the counterweight bar housing as shown in the photos.
      It also will come with the modified power cable required also.
      Note: the power LED sometimes doesn't illuminate but the mount is still powered (please see the photo with the hand controller).
      Collection or local delivery within Northampton

• By steppenwolf
      Vixen Polarie Star Tracker with Vixen Quick Polaris Locator Compass in mint condition - For Sale.
      This mint condition Polarie Star Tracker and Vixen Polaris Locator Compass have only been used during the course of a review that I carried out for Vixen UK and will be supplied in their original boxes with manuals.
      This tracker is the ultimate in portable camera tracking mounts being lightweight yet manufactured to Vixen’s usual exemplary high standard and the additional Vixen Polaris Locator Compass makes polar alignment for wide field imaging quick and simple.
      The new price for the two items would be £399.00
      For sale at £195.00 delivered. Payment by bank transfer - WILL NOT SELL OUTSIDE UK.
      Polarie Star Tracker

Vixen Quick Polaris Locator Compass

• By etunar
      Last week I discovered a reasonably wobble on the RA axis on my HEQ5 which ended up causing lots of double stars on my subs (i am guessing because the mount kept wobbling between the two positions.) So I did the worm gear adjustment and the wobble seems to have disappeared. I did a full slew rotation check and couldn't tell any binding/grinding (I had binding at 1st attempt but was resolved after further adjustments).
      Thanks to the clear skies last few nights, I had it running throughout the night 3 times now. My overall guiding is much better than before, averaging between 0.6 and 0.8 Total error. However, when the mount gets closer to the home position (usually after 2-3am), I seem to start having tracking issues. I have attached screenshots to show examples; sometimes it's trailing, sometimes it's double stars, and sometimes it makes a u-turn to track back to the original position.
      PHD log files from another night are here: https://openphdguiding.org/logs/dl/PHD2_logs_tych.zip
      Is this a balance issue that becomes apparent when the mount is more vertical? I'm relatively new to using this mount, so most of my previous sessions have been closer to the meridian. Or is my worm gear tightened just a bit too much and causing issues? I can't really hear anything wrong when slewing at high speed.
      Only other thing i can think of is, I sometimes get error messages on PHD but pulse command being ineffective, but these happen at other times as well without causing any issues.
      It's losing me 7-8 frames over the span of 2.5 hours, so it would be nice to get it resolved if anyone has any ideas?
      Thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.