SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

HEQ5 pro power supply

mcro89

Hey everyone,

So I have just purchased a skywatcher HEQ5 pro mount and been a bit lost with what I need to safely power it from mains.

I have been reading different forum post and gotten a bit lost. 

People are saying you need to regulate it to make sure that too much power doesn't get drawn? Would this just be a normal surge protection plug adapter?

I will be using my scope at home for the moment so just want to hook it up to the mains. 

I was looking at buying one of these -https://www.amazon.co.uk/JOYLIT-100-240V-Switching-Adapter-Flexible-12V-5A/dp/B01LYBUO16/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1533215373&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=12v+5a+power+supply&dpPl=1&dpID=51BeVSM6HKL&ref=plSrch

Is this ok? 

Alot of forum recommendations point to Maplins products however since they arw nowclosed I'm not sure what other places to look for power supplies.

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

That's great! All I really needed to know for now. I will eventually will need a portable power solution for when the nights are longer and I want to take my scope to more dark site. 

If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to post! 

Ok cool yea I'll check that. I might be ok. Will also be plugging it into an extension lead with surge protector built into it. 

Out of curiosity why do you say to go for 12v 8amp power cable? 

Reading around most people say 12v 5amp is enough?

Ah ok, well for now all I want it for is to power the mount so I can start playing with it.

I'm still a beginner and learning how to set everything  up for astrophotography so iam happy to take it slow. Just want to power the motors and the go-to for now. 

As I said I will eventually get a bigger power supply to power it all for when I start taking the setup to darker sites for proper imaging sessions once I have a better understanding of it all.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
On 02/08/2018 at 15:24, mcro89 said:

Hey everyone,

So I have just purchased a skywatcher HEQ5 pro mount and been a bit lost with what I need to safely power it from mains.

I have been reading different forum post and gotten a bit lost. 

People are saying you need to regulate it to make sure that too much power doesn't get drawn? Would this just be a normal surge protection plug adapter?

I will be using my scope at home for the moment so just want to hook it up to the mains. 

I was looking at buying one of these -https://www.amazon.co.uk/JOYLIT-100-240V-Switching-Adapter-Flexible-12V-5A/dp/B01LYBUO16/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1533215373&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=12v+5a+power+supply&dpPl=1&dpID=51BeVSM6HKL&ref=plSrch

Is this ok? 

Alot of forum recommendations point to Maplins products however since they arw nowclosed I'm not sure what other places to look for power supplies.

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi mcro89, Did you purchase this power supply and if do - does it work Ok?

Archived