Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter Double shadow transit 2 Aug

2 hours ago, John said:

Thanks Kerry :smiley:

Rather cloudy here just now. Fingers crossed for this evening though !

OK John. Forecast is good here so hopeful given some reasonable seeing.

I am following the SW 150ED debate with interest  - never be able to sell my Vixen 150 now! ?

Unfortunately, it is now lost behind the roof of the bungalow behind me. I only saw a single shadow, as for the last 15 minutes or so the seeing became so bad that Jupiter looked as though a stream was flowing over the disc. So onto Saturn and decent darkness.

2 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

.... watched it until the large Christmas tree intervened.

With the planets so low down currently from the UK you never know what might creep into the field of view while you are concentrating on tracking :grin:

I did manage to catch both shadows, which was fun as I had not been aware it was happening beforehand. But I could not see Io itself on the face.

My, but Saturn was sharp and detailed that evening though! 

And pretty good last night too.

Managed to catch Mars for the first time last night as well, but could only pick out the polar caps and some degree of greyness in the southern (?) hemisphere - no real detail.

5 hours ago, GordonD said:

I did manage to catch both shadows, which was fun as I had not been aware it was happening beforehand. But I could not see Io itself on the face.

My, but Saturn was sharp and detailed that evening though! 

And pretty good last night too.

Managed to catch Mars for the first time last night as well, but could only pick out the polar caps and some degree of greyness in the southern (?) hemisphere - no real detail.

Hello Gordon 

I’m glad that you managed to see the shadow transits and you did well with other planets  too. It is very very difficult to see the moons themselves against Jupiter. Sometimes you can be lucky if they are against a dark band but usually the best time is as they approach the planet’s limb which is slightly darker- it’s then fascinating to see them leave and part from the disc itself. 

I should clarify that Calisto and Ganymede are darker than the others and can be visible as they cross the planet. In fact they can be mistaken for a shadow. However they transit much less often than the other two Galilean moons. 

Archived